Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SMC Pentax XF 6.5-19.5mm Zoom Eyepiece

Moonshane

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest Shane I've used it for less than 5mins the other day, in between racing clouds and bad seeing. Only really used it at the 19.5mm mark too as zooming in any further made the view awful.

I agree that it's more comfortable with eye placement, even better than the baader I had. I really need a good day to make a proper assessment. (The sooner the better)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Shane

I don't take any pleasure in your confirmation of the CA at night, but am kind of relieved that it doesn't seem to be only me that found that to be a real issue at night. I think Spaceboy might have been right regarding his analyisis as most Pentax gear is superb. I had an XF 8.5mm eyeypiece and loved it, really loved it. In fact I  still might consider a 12.5mm pair of XF's for my binoviewer at some point if funds allow.

At least you seem to find it good for Solar, Shane - but it also sounds as though your humble Seben is giving the Pentax a run for it's money too!

clear skies,

Dave

I may well have shot myself in the foot if I ever decide to sell this I think Dave! But I can only be honest in my findings. I must confess that the white light views today were stunning. Although yet another thing that surprised me today though was that the eye lens edges are not blackened, meaning you can see them when observing the sun unless careful to cup the eyepiece with your hand.

The seben is great value for money that is certain.

I had an XF 8.5mm eyeypiece and loved it, really loved it. In fact I  still might consider a 12.5mm pair of XF's for my binoviewer at some point if funds allow.

Dave,

My impression is that reviews on 12mm XF is not as favorable as the 8.5mm.

Is the main reason it doesn't perform as an astronomical eyepiece cos its main job is for daytime spotting scopes?

Still waiting to try mine properly with my ls60t :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe all Pentax eyepieces were designed for spotting scopes. The XW and XO ranges just happen to be superlative astro eyepieces as well.

Archived