Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fantastic session.

cotterless45

Wow , I'm so pleased. Thought over the last few weeks that my eyesight had faded. Just kept seeing clouds.

So pleased, it was windy , so I managed the 10" Dob out. Got the E and F stars in the Trapezium. Trick here is just sit and draw what you see. That way you'll relax more. One was obvious and the other took it's time.

Then onto Comet Lovejoy. At x100 it filled the fov, being easy to spot naked eye. The core was really bright. The surrounding area looked a bit one sided with just a faint hint of tail. I moved the fov across to get the change from dark to flare up.

Then up to Gemini and a stunning Eskimo nebula with a halo. Very clear and bright. The Auriga clusters looked spectacular , I like them all.

Then Jupiter arrived and a good view before it got a bit mushy with seeing.

I had a look at a few favourites. NGC 7789 before Cassiopeia sank, beta Monocerotis and some doubles Aries.

Just a lovely relaxing evening. Tomorrow I'll be in the refractor, I noticed a spiders web behind the objective, that ota isn't big enough for the two of us,

Clear skies,

Nick.

Good report Nick and some nice sights :smiley:

I've had the ED120 out on similar targets tonight although some cloud dodging has been required. My take on the comet was similar to yours - I just sort of vaguely suspected where a tail might be although nothing definite actually there really. The other side of the comets halo just seemed a little darker than the side where I felt the tail might be.

Hoping to get a little time on Jupiter now, before turning in.

It was fantastic view of C/2014 Q2 tonight. Easy even for naked eyes. The tale is in deed visible in my 10" dob. Unforgettable bright comet with the green hue. Enjoyable night for me as well with many lovely objects observed, including Eskimo PN :)

Thank you for sharing your report.

Helix

Great stuff, Nick and glad that the weather played game this evening :smiley: . I figure, like John and yourself, I had a pretty similar session. This evening and last night, I could see Lovejoy's colour, and possible hint of a 'tail' or more a smudging to the left side in the frac.

I wish I had the dark skies you all have - try as I might I couldn't make it out as a naked-eye object, but I did get the 8" Newt on it, as I had hoped. Definitely a much more well-defined core than my previous views of it on the 3rd and the 6th. No sign of a tail for me though - I had hoped the absence of the moon would let that show up, but in the event I just don't think I have dark enough skies here.

What was rather satisfying, though, was simply being able to see its movement against the background starfield over the course of an hour or so. A couple of satellites raced through my field of view for a little added excitement. And in gaps between Lovejoy views I took a look at Aldebaran, M37, and the Pleiades. I was just trying to line the finderscope up on M33 when the clouds showed up. Rain was forecast, so I took the hint and called it a night. Short, but sweet enough.

Archived