Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DDS and colour loss

I bagged comet lovejoy last night.

20 subs 30s ISO800 raw 1100d and 6 darks, each shows a green comet.

On stacking in DDS 3.3.4 and using comet merge as my data was inadequte for star trails the resulting image is dark and the comet is now white.

For manipulation I have only Paintshop Pro 7 and Gimp.

I just want to get the colours and volume of stars back that were in the individual subs, any pointers greatfully received please.

images one is the example sub and the other out put (both resized for illustration and jog)

post-28282-0-12296400-1420802868_thumb.j

post-28282-0-27719700-1420802879_thumb.j

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have found a potential bug in Paintshop Pro which prevents the points to be sticky in Curves.

So now downloading the Photoshop trial to compare the way curves works to verify bug or not in Paintshop. Plus I also get to try the trail gradient remover.

Turned out there is no bug in curves more reading up and it is working how expected accross programmes.

The weak point is really the histogram control in Paintshop Pro I think.

Paintshop Pro I have experimented with colour replacer to remove the strong gradients but whilst it sort of looks OK it is very brutul and removes more of the finer detail.

I am strugling with justification of buying Photoshop for an occaional hobby so will next see about pixinsight download.

The fly in the oinment for me is neither Photoshop or Pixinsight will work on my main PC as I run XP so would be reduced to using it on the win 8.1 tablet (with connected keyboard/mouse and I guess monitor to).

So it is can I live without Gradient Exterminator which is effective and easy to use or go off and fiddle with Pixinsight. Which I am off to next.

When you save the image from DSS, are you embedding or applying adjustments ? If you're applying the adjustments, you'll need to give the saturation a 20 to 25% boost in the saturation tab in the DSS adjustments. If you are embedding only, and doing all the adjustments in your photo editor, then this is not required. 

Thank you for replying.

I am doing no adjustments in DDS.

I am feeling really happy.

I can use the Gradient Exterminator plugin in my current version of Paintshop Pro which is v7.04.

So this means the very least I need to spend is to buy this fabulous plugin.

I have also managed to add the Hasta La Vista Green plugin to both my existing old Paintshop Pro version and the lastest one on trial.

Photoshop is not going to make up part of my solution but instead a new version of Paintshop Pro as the leveler command is much improved.

I am trying to use Startools so wont review Pixinsight until I have tried Startools for the trial period.

We have decided as the last PC was 12 years old before replacement to upgrade the ram in the current base unit from 2Gb to 10Gb should give it at least another 5 years life though I expect it might last longer than it's predecessor.

Still on XP may look to up that to 8.1 later in the year but if Startools gets happier with the extra RAM may very well not bother.

We have decided as the last PC was 12 years old before replacement to upgrade the ram in the current base unit from 2Gb to 10Gb should give it at least another 5 years life though I expect it might last longer than it's predecessor.

Still on XP may look to up that to 8.1 later in the year but if Startools gets happier with the extra RAM may very well not bother.

You probably know already but just in case, 32 Bit Windows Xp can only address a maximum of 4Gb of RAM, you can put more than that in the machine but the operating system will not be able to use it and it will be invisible to any programs you run. You would need a 64 Bit version of Windows Xp (or Windows 8.1) before the extra RAM installed above 4Gb becomes useable.

Thanks Louise

I have already had the you need 64 bit from startools but it works to a fashion in 32 bit so that is enough for my simple efforts so far. I can manually follow PS tutorials in paintshop pro as it has all the main things it looks like I need just manual effort required.

Thanks Louise

I have already had the you need 64 bit from startools but it works to a fashion in 32 bit so that is enough for my simple efforts so far. I can manually follow PS tutorials in paintshop pro as it has all the main things it looks like I need just manual effort required.

Hi

Well it depends on the size of your raw images... Whenever I've tried processing 1100d images on a 32bit machine Startools complained and suggested cropping the image. I've tried that and it seemed ok at first. But after doing some processing it eventually flashed up 'out of memory' and exited - all the effort lost! 64bit system required! :) But you're welcome to have a go!

Louise

:-) yes I see now what you mean from your experience.

I don't want to spend more money for a dabbling in hobby at the moment and paintshop pro is giving me a fall back position.

One day the pc will be upped to win 8.1 64bit as the hardware is good enough but not just yet.

It is balancing a hobby with what I am prepared to spend for the amount of time I can put into it.

:-) yes I see now what you mean from your experience.

I don't want to spend more money for a dabbling in hobby at the moment and paintshop pro is giving me a fall back position.

One day the pc will be upped to win 8.1 64bit as the hardware is good enough but not just yet.

It is balancing a hobby with what I am prepared to spend for the amount of time I can put into it.

Hi

I know what you mean too! The development version of GIMP is quite good, free, runs on 32bit systems, and handles 16bit images: http://nightly.darkrefraction.com/gimp/

Louise

Archived