SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet Lovejoy - almost full moon :(

I would never usually image at full moon.

I would never even dream of imaging in broadband (DSLR) at full moon. But the weather isn't looking great so I thought what the hell...

I managed 98 x 1 minute shots, with flats, bias and darks. The moon was bright, very bright - did I mention that :)

The laptop was not happy with 100+ CR2 files ar nearly 10meg a pop to process.

Stacked in DSS, curves, level and colour balance in PS.

Still plenty of work to do as the stacking process has removed the stars lol, and don't even start on the gradient from the moon - any suggestion how to get rid of that great fully received.

But I am happy with the colour and the fact that I have quite a nice tail coming through :D

Cheers

Ant

Thanks guys :)

Lee, This was through the Skywatcher ST102 which is F5, so just a little over 500mm.

I wonder if I should have de focused the camera, then taken the flats against the moon lit sky. That may have helped the gradient?

Rob, that's better. Dare I ask how? The tail is still there and the gradient gone - that's a winning combination in my eyes :)

Ant

Hi, I think you forgot to mention the full moon  :smiley:

You could try a vignetting tool but as already said it would be difficult to keep the tail. Hope you don't mind had a quick go, difficult with low res copy.

Not sure whether any Photoshop experts think that things could be improved by using layers? It seems feasible to me that various elements could be brought out on different layers and combined but I am no expert.

post-34685-0-28788200-1420397015.jpg

The sky cleared very late here last night, about 23:30, but I got set up as soon as it did and I also tried some imaging. I also only used only 60s exposures as otherwise the subs would be almost saturated by the background. Still, it's nice to see the comet move between each exposure. I haven't worked up my efforts yet though.

Completely clouded out here Dave, hopefully better for me in a few days.

I might try an animation myself :)

Peter, yes on Fibre here - but its still a bit rubbish as I'm quite rural. But its still better than old fashioned BB. Are you happy with the 32Bit Tif?

Completely clouded out here Dave, hopefully better for me in a few days.

I might try an animation myself :)

Peter, yes on Fibre here - but its still a bit rubbish as I'm quite rural. But its still better than old fashioned BB. Are you happy with the 32Bit Tif?

Running Stellarium forward from the 7th (Comet closest to earth) the moon will become less of a problem. Let's hope for some clear sky. 

Here are two links. 

Both the same except size

This is the slightly smaller one - half the size of the original (in terms of Pixels) - this is 31Mb

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k34ahp926yzv48i/Autosave004%20-%20ForPeter_noDks_sml.tif?dl=0

This one full size - 92Mb

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yl754jhn73x4nt7/Autosave004%20-%20ForPeter_noDks.tif?dl=0

Both are the 32Bit Autosave files from DSS. They have had Flats and Bias frames including in the stacking - but not darks (the darks did funny things).

I'd love to see what you guys (everyone welcome) manage to do.

Cheers

Ant

Archived