Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Spent all my pocket money on books!

Wendy and I thought we could do with a few books for our new found hobby, which meant spending my monthly pocket money allowance. :rolleyes:

It's like going back to my childhood, as being a poor old pensioner Aww!  :grin:   I have to budget on what I spend these days. Having just splashed out around £300 on a new scope (which incidentally ,we are still waiting for) and a few plossl lenses, it has left us eating jam and bread for the next few weeks.  :laugh:

Anyway. Turn Left At Orion, definitely  seemed to be a must have book; and looking at all the Star Atlases, The Cambridge Star Atlas came out tops from Amazon, so that was added to the list.

Next, as I intend discovering the surface of our next door neighbour (no not Mrs Jones) I am talking about that other ball of rock that orbits our Bigger Rock.

I plumbed for, The Sky & Telescope Moon Map (Laminated Spiral Bound Version). This, so it say's, shows the Moon as it appears through the lens of a Reflector Telescope, so I thought that was good.

I found a second hand copy of Sky & Telescope Pocket Star Atlas (spiral bound) for £4.95, which with it's A5 size, would be handy to have outside when observing.

Last but not least, I have bought a copy of Patrick Moore's Year Book 2014 (Special Memorial Edition) I loved that man and Sky at Night. He has done more for amateur astronomy, than anyone and he will be sadly missed.

So altogether with postage, it's cost me just over £50. But I think money well spent, as I don't think we will need any other books on the subject. I have already downloaded Stellararium, which both Wendy and I, found to be quite fascinating. 

I bought 4 of O'Meara's Deep Sky Companions books in the last month: Herschel 400, Caldwell objects, Secret Deep & Hidden Treasures. All great!

'Book finder uk' website finds the cheapest available version, very much recommended.

I'm reading Astrophotography by Thierry Legault and Lessons from the Masters from the Patrick Moore Practical Astronomy Series. Both very good books.

I have bought a lot of other astro-books too and have been skimming through most of them.

Miguel

Geoff and Wendy, you have made some wise choices in your literature, however, if you are interested in our near neighbour, (not the lady next door) :grin: then you should download the free program "Virtual Moon Atlas". If you are going to search the heavens by the enjoyable method of star hopping, then if you can get hold of a s/h paper back copy of  "Star-Hopping" by Robert Garfinkle it should give you a good grounding as to the expertise involved. Then I suppose that will mean just the bread and water. Never mind, what sacrifices we make for our hobbies eh, enjoy :)

Geoff and Wendy, you have made some wise choices in your literature, however, if you are interested in our near neighbour, (not the lady next door) :grin: then you should download the free program "Virtual Moon Atlas". If you are going to search the heavens by the enjoyable method of star hopping, then if you can get hold of a s/h paper back copy of  "Star-Hopping" by Robert Garfinkle it should give you a good grounding as to the expertise involved. Then I suppose that will mean just the bread and water. Never mind, what sacrifices we make for our hobbies eh, enjoy :)

An excellent program, here's a link:- http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualmoon/

BTW you can configure this to show exactly the same view as through the scope.

Good luck and enjoy

Thank you John, I managed to find a second hand copy of Star Hopping, on Amazon, for just over £2 + postage, which at £2.80 cost more than the book.  :laugh:    It ships from the US, so it could take up to six weeks. Anyway, I think we can stay with jam and bread, for a few more weeks yet, before having to give up on  the jam.   :rolleyes:

An excellent program, here's a link:- http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualmoon/

BTW you can configure this to show exactly the same view as through the scope.

Good luck and enjoy

Thank you Alan for the link to the Virtual Moon Atlas.   :smiley:

A good choice of books to get you two going. A fruit bush from the garden centre next (4:99). This will allow you both to make your own Jam freeing up even more money for further accessories.! Enjoy your reading

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  We have already got Gooseberry, Raspberry and Blackcurrant bushes in our garden Garry , so no worries of running out of jam. It's a source of flour for the bread, we will have to consider. :rolleyes:  

Some great books out there, totally agree that Turn Left at Orion is a fabulous help with observing. I managed to get on old Cambridge Star Atlas (it's an ex library edition) but still very usable. I bought other atlases (Norton and Philip's (large and pocket versions)) and find the Cambridge most useful although I do like the large Philip's for having a zero magnification photo alongside a map of the corresponding area.

Just wonder what other people's view are about older astronomy books. I was recently lucky enough to be given a copy of Fred Hoyle's "Astronomy" 1962 edition but wonder how much of the information it gives has since been contradicted by more recent research etc, after all, given the whole evolution in Astronomy the last half century has seen massive development.

Archived