Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Converting MVI files to AVI format

craigb1970

Hi - I recorded my first video of the moon last night using a Canon 60d but the resulting file is in MVI format rather than AVI which as I understand is the format  Registax needs. Please can anyone advise how can convert MVI to AVI.

PIPP should handle the .mvi format file, though I do not have a sample .mvi file to test it with.  Though you made need to change the the extension of filename from .mvi to .mov in order to get PIPP to accept the file.

Please do let me know if PIPP does work with the file after changing the extension to .mov and I will quickly update PIPP to accept .mvi files directly.

Cheers,

Chris

As said above, I just click on the .mov file in PIPP, let it do its job then open the now converted file (PIPP gives you the option as to what format you want to output) in AutoStakkert2 for stacking, finally wavelets in Registax 5 for final tweaking.
Are you using crop mode for your captures ?

Regards 
Lee

Thanks for the responses.  Turns out MVI is actually .mov it was just the way it was displayed, sorry about that.  But, PIPP successfully converted .mov to .avi, thanks for your help.

Does PIPP automatically discard frames as the original file had 7000+ frames but when converted there were only 108?

Is there a manual for PIPP so that I can understand what I'm doing  and use ot properly?

Thanks for the responses.  Turns out MVI is actually .mov it was just the way it was displayed, sorry about that.  But, PIPP successfully converted .mov to .avi, thanks for your help.

Does PIPP automatically discard frames as the original file had 7000+ frames but when converted there were only 108?

Is there a manual for PIPP so that I can understand what I'm doing  and use ot properly?

If you just use PIPP to just do the conversion and nothing else, then no frames should be discarded.  To do this just add the .mov file, make sure the output format is set to AVI and click the 'Do Processing' button.  Do not select any other options!  If you only get 108 frames out while doing this, then something is definitely wrong somewhere.

This is no manual as such, each option in PIPP should have some pop-up help text attached to it.  Another option to get you going to to look through the walk-through examples:

https://sites.google.com/site/astropipp/example-uasge

Haw large is the .mov file you are starting with?

Cheers,

Chris

Archived