Astroonomy non-fiction

jambouk

I found a book called "The light-hearted astronomer" by ken fulton, and have just read it. I thought it was going to be a book of interesting tales of encounters and disasters an astronomer had experienced. It was more of a narrative aimed at someone thinking of entering astronomy, written in the 1980s. It has been quite entertaining, though maybe sexist in places and clearly showing its age (no mention of digital photography or the internet for example).

But i wonder if there is any good astronomy non-fiction out there?

Any recommendations greatly received.

James

Aye, Raymo's Soul of the Night. Wonderfully written and really quite poignant. In a sense, I feel Raymo's intention was to lift us from ourselves, to provide the possibility to stop and to look beyond, to transport us from our everyday lives and failings - be it only for brief moments. I highly recommend this book.

Stargazer: The life & times of the telescope by Fred Watson.

A very good and detailed history of the development of the optical telescope.

The Universe; A Biography by John Gribben.

A very nicely written book about the big bang and what followed..one I could undestand too.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I ideally want ones based around the astronomer/observer rather than the science of the universe if that makes sense.

Starlight Nights looks good, trying to find a non-kindle copy for under £30.

Keep them coming.

James

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I ideally want ones based around the astronomer/observer rather than the science of the universe if that makes sense.

Starlight Nights looks good, trying to find a non-kindle copy for under £30.

Keep them coming.

James

I was hoping to purchase a copy of this book from Amazon, but a printed copy is way too expensive. This is because this book is no longer in print. However it is available for Kindle download for £6.95. Problem was I do not own a Kindle. Then I noticed that you can download the Kindle App for tablet, phone or PC, absolutely free. Having done this, I purchased the Kindle download, which auto loads it into the Kindle App, ready to read at leisure.

I read through part of this book on the Look Inside facility and thought this could be an interesting read. So I now have this book on my free Kindle App.

Thank you to wheresthetorch for pointing this out. Something to read during those cloudy nights.

I have just finished reading this non fiction book and I found it to be a very interesting read. It cover's the life of Leslie C Peltier. With his passion for astronomy, It starts when he is just a boy, living on a remote farm in America during the early twentieth century. Saving his well earned wages from Strawberry picking, he buys a small 2" brass spyglass and begins his journey of discovery throughout the night sky, as an amateur astronomer, which leads on to  greater things, as he becomes involved in looking and recording variable stars and actually discovers a new comet whilst still in his teens. This was eventually catalogued and named after him. This book was written by himself in 1965, covering his whole life from starting with a small telescope, to being the carer of a six inch and twelve inch refractor. It is a such a joy to read. The book is now out of print, but there are copies available on Amazon for a very high price. However, I bought the Kindle download for £6.25 and downloaded the Free Kindle App. It is a pity that there aren't more books like this, as I thoroughly was immersed by it.

Read it for yourself, you won't be disappointed.

For those that don't know if you kindle or the app you can download a book sample for free to see if you like it before you commit to buy.

You can also return a book so long as you do so in under 15 mins I believe. They had to build this in as 1 click ordering could be risky otherwise!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi James I bought The light hearted astronomer in the 1980s found it very funny book and enjoyed it .   Johannes

I bought this book back in the 1980's and loved it :smiley:

Another I would suggest is Peter L Manly's book "Unusual Telescopes". Very interesting and entertaining read with all sorts of odd and quirky telescope designs :smiley:

"TV Astronomer - 30 years of The Sky at Night" by Sir Patrick Moore is very entertaining too.

Some good suggestions for Astronomy non-fiction there.

I wondered, is there such a thing then as Astronomy fiction?

Maybe the equivalent of fishing stories?

"had just finished this 6000 second exposure of Sagittarius A*  when the memory card caught fire..."

Michael

Archived