Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Darn it - scope fell !!!!!!

John

I have just read this and it has got me all paranoid now my scope is fixed by a small shoe and I tend to set up indoors before carrying the whole thing outside so thermal contraction will be a big issue I am contemplating drilling the shoe a little so that the dovetail clamp fits into a recess.

I am so glad that the damage to your kit wasn`t worse I dont think I would have survived such an experience.

Alan

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi only had a 'scope since Xmas but it's already happened to my celestron 130EQ-MD

Just carried the whole rig into the kitchen and was placing the end cover on and tube

shot out like an exocet on speed !!!   no damage phew !!   (some one must love me !!)

A very short screw through the dovetail seem to stop end slide but I am now thinking about

changing the securing knobs due to arthritis in  my hands

Regards & C.S.

Robin

Its been mentioned already......Tie wraps,  (colour coded) adorn my scope. Two on the finder base, two around the OTA/Telrad. Nothing like Belt & Braces.

I need to do something with my seat though, as I have tripped and fallen over that in the past! but now using a Drum throne/stool, I think the risk is greater, being much smaller.

Good news  John, that you were able to revive the  appearance of the Tele Vue.

This thread is giving me the heebie jeebies.  My mount is arriving today (hopefully) and now as well as being quite excited (what a kid!) I'm also cacking it about not fixing everything together properly.

I have some webbing straps for the roof rack and also some zip ties, so will get them put on just in case.

Glad your scope wasn't badly damaged though and the thread is a great reminder!

So sorry to hear about your scope misfortune John. Thanks Rob,for some excellent advice which I intend to treat as gospel!  I've just set up my new TAL 100RS on an AZ4 for the first time this morning,and I have to admit to reservations as to the one screw only fixing for the dovetail on the AZ4. Some good ideas for improving dovetail security on this thread.Anxiety about your scope plunging onto concrete at any time could put a real dampener on enjoying an observing session!

Archived