NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CHRISTMAS EVE FOR CHILDREN

John1980

Sorry I do not know where to post this however I had an idea for christmas eve which may be of interest to those of you with children / grandchildren

FOR THE ATTENTION OF ALL PARENTS

On 24th December the international space station will be making two visible passes over the uk. The first is by far the best chance to see it. At 5:21pm the ISS will appear from the west and for 8 minutes will travel across the sky to the south and at 5:29pm it will disappear again to the south east. Cloud willing the ISS will at its peak be at a reasonably good elevation of 34 degrees and should give your children/grandchildren an opportunity to see it.

FOR THE ATTENTION OF ALL YOUNG CHILDREN

Before you go to bed on christmas eve you might just see Santa travelling across the sky in his sled.

If you have your telescope set up with the camera on it who knows you might even get a shot of santa on his sleigh that you can show the kids on the camera just after taking it.

If only someone had such a photo already prepared :laugh: post-38650-0-61683700-1419346638_thumb.j

I tried this with a 7 year-old yesterday. Response: 'Nah...that's in space...it's that Station!!!'

I have high hopes for that young man... :)

Fair enough. I expect he'll stay up and negotiate a better deal with Santa....

Barry

Good idea and I showed the image to my offspring after saying that it was Santa on a practice run. I explained how I saw him in my scope and how he'd traversed across the sky south of our house travelling W-E

The eldest child immediately said.

"Why is he pointing the wrong way?"

"Optical illusion caused by the atmosphere and rotation of the earth" I said, he seemed dubious.

Can you mirror it across so that he's going W to E?  - they might accept it then ( he's 22 and she's 19 :grin: and they nearly believe)

Best wishes,

M

Archived