Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another Ask For EP Advice.... yawn

Liquid360

I HATE to ask such questions. This is partly because it's just so subjective and personal. However, anytime I simply can't decide I ask here. I'm considering grabbing one last EP, which should complete my collection for quite sometime, unless I add a new SCT which is likely in the next couple months. My three eyepieces makes me feel I'm missing one. The 3.7mm I bought cause I found a good deal, but doesn't see much use. The 13mm Ethos I adore.

I have a 4in Frac, 530mm. My current EP's are TV Ethos 13mm, Ethos SX 3.7mm, and a 20mm ES100. If you were to add a final eyepiece which would you add? I'm torn between Ethos 17 and 8mm. My targets are whatever happens to be interesting on any given night.... Planets, DSO, etc

Someday I'm sure I'll have both, but that time isn't now. One last EP for the immediate future.

post-22697-141839888873_thumb.jpg

I would go with the 8mm ethos.

As a suggestion you could then get a powermate (potentially funded by selling the 3.7SX?) like Dobfest says and get 4mm along with other good focal lengths for your set.

Just to complicate things a bit further, when using my scope for visual work, due to focusing issues, I have to use the TAK extender Q which, according to their site, "Acts as a 1.6x visual Barlow and a field-flattening photographic 2" tele-extender". How would this effect the use of a powermate, if at all?

As the new guy, why would a 4mm Ethos be superior to the 3.7SX?

Curious,

Nate

I would go with the 8mm ethos.

As a suggestion you could then get a powermate (potentially funded by selling the 3.7SX?) like Dobfest says and get 4mm along with other good focal lengths for your set.

Archived