Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best 2nd Scope to Compliment 4" Refractor

I'm looking for a suitable scope to compliment my 4" refractor. I'm very much open to buying 2nd hand to stretch my budget. Considerations are

1. Quality optics

2. Easy of use

3. Larger aperture for fainter stuff

Astrophotography is not required, nor is tracking etc.

Would a OOUK 10" dob be the way forward? I can possibly obtain a used OTA for a reasonable price.

Please fire away folks!

Hi Bond19, you are certainly thinking on the right tracks, a large reflector for feint DSO's would be perfect, that is the combination I have now and it works very well.  Any reflector 200mm or above will transform your viewing possibilities.  The TV 102 mm that you already have is a very capable scope too, a different experience from reflectors.

I used to use a 4" refractor and an 10" Orion Optics newtonian both on alt-az mounts. They complemented each other excellently :smiley:

Unless you can get a used one (like I did) I'd consider the Skywatcher 10" dob over the Orion Optics one though - the latter costs an awful lot of dosh new and the Skywatchers are pretty good.

Thanks Robin, thats what I'm looking to achieve. A combination of two scopes for different, yet complimentary observation sessions.

John, I'm a stickler for high quality lens which is reflected in my signature. Does the same apply to mirrors? Would the OOUK mirror delivery superior views compared to a standard production mirror. I know from experience that my TV102 is rewarding me with lovely views due its optical quality. Is the extra expense noticeable in the OOUK mirror's bearing in mind I'd use the OOUK on moon & planets in favourable seeing conditions, as well as DSO.

Thanks Robin, thats what I'm looking to achieve. A combination of two scopes for different, yet complimentary observation sessions.

John, I'm a stickler for high quality lens which is reflected in my signature. Does the same apply to mirrors? Would the OOUK mirror delivery superior views compared to a standard production mirror. I know from experience that my TV102 is rewarding me with lovely views due its optical quality. Is the extra expense noticeable in the OOUK mirror's bearing in mind I'd use the OOUK on moon & planets in favourable seeing conditions, as well as DSO.

The higher spec mirrors, 1/8th & 1/10th wave, will give very similar views to a basic 1/4 wave mirror most of the time for DSOs, and the planets.  

I do think however that under excellent conditions the higher spec mirrors may, to an experienced eye, give superior planetary resolution at higher powers.  But those stable and steady skies (lack of turbulence) don't happen too often.

A good 1/4 wave mirror, if cooled and collimated, will give excellent views.

There's loads of info out there, but I think the above is a reasonable short answer.

HTH, Ed.

I guess if you bought the best quality OO mirror you may sometimes see a slight difference in performance over a Skywatcher mirror, all other things being equal. Whether that possibility is worth the £700+ price difference (based on new prices) is up to you I guess. Personally I'd not recommend buying a new OO because they depreciate so fast and the service from OO can be very, er, "variable".

As John suggests, a 10" or 12" dob would complement your TV beautifully. I've also found that a small, wide field also has its place :smiley: My own truss 10" has skywatcher mirrors and the observations I have pushed from them have been excellent in the superlative. No idea how much a 1/10 wave mirror would improve matters, so perhaps I'm completely of the ball, but for DSO observing, I would prefer to buy a decent secondhand 10" or 12" dob on the secondhand market and use the extra cash I'd saved for pimping the scope (focuser, fan) or buying a quality eyepiece.

As John suggests, a 10" or 12" dob would complement your TV beautifully. I've also found that a small, wide field also has its place :smiley: My own truss 10" has skywatcher mirrors and the observations I have pushed from them have been excellent in the superlative. No idea how much a 1/10 wave mirror would improve matters, so perhaps I'm completely of the ball, but for DSO observing, I would prefer to buy a decent secondhand 10" or 12" dob on the secondhand market and use the extra cash I'd saved for pimping the scope (focuser, fan) or buying a quality eyepiece.

That 's what I'm leaning towards. I'm no fan of SCT's so a big ol mirror is my preference. I guess 1/8 or 1/10 mirrors are for those with unlimited budgets. If 90% of the time a 1/4 or 1/6 mirror will deliver similar views at a fraction of the price, then it's a simple decision. I was just being cautious as experience tells me a quality refractor lens is more critical in providing good views than the role a mirror plays in its newtonian counterpart.

I would look at what John the mod uses and copy.... I did (well close) and am very happy.

Archived