First nighttime light for SLV 5mm and TV Plössl 25mm

I managed to grab a gap in the clouds and set up the APM 80mm F/6 triplet to test the latest two EPs at night. First target was the moon. First framed it nicely with the MaxVision 24mm 68°, which gave superb views. The TV Plössl gave very similar, crisp views. Zooming up the power to 96x with the SLV 5mm. The image was really superb: high contrast and lovely detail. It compared very well with the views with the Pentax XW7. The latter has a much larger FOV, but the SLV gives nothing away in terms of contrast. I spotted no glare (after I cleaned my glasses properly ;)) and the views were very comfortable.

I then switched to M45, comparing the TV 25mm, MV 24mm, and the mighty Nagler 22T4. The MaxVision was first, giving very nice and crisp views. Some slight astigmatism and perhaps field curvature showed right at the edge of the field. The 22T4 gave much wider views, and also a little field curvature seemed to show (but not the hint of astigmatism). The Plössl was very sharp, perhaps a smidgen sharper than the MaxVision, and a match for the Nagler. The view was a bit less pleasing to me, as M45 was not framed as nicely in the rather restricted FOV of the Plössl.

When picking a night time travel set, the MaxVision would probably be better than the Plössl. The latter is a bit better for solar H-alpha, however.

The SLV is a real gem, and I might get the 6 as well.

Get the 6.... Do it, don't even think about it!

I've really only just had two quick moon sessions with mine and I'm hooked....

In fact the first thought that ran through my mind was... "hmmmm they do a 9, 12, 15, 20 and 25 mm in these... my televue plossls might not sleep too easy for a while!"

* I might have been a bit giddy their.. apologies glad you like both the slv and TV plossl’s

I'm glad you like the SLV Michael :smiley:

When I reported on these I wondered if I was going to be taken seriously so it's good to see that I was not imagining the quality of the views. 

No worries, I loved the old LVs in terms of optical quality, and the Radians only just edged them out a few years back. My impression is that the SLV is a touch better, with better coatings (not that the LVs were bad in any way). The BIG improvement in practical terms is the eye-cup. Much better than the stiff, rubber I-won't-fold-back eye cup of the LVs. Of course, I might at some point prefer the XW 5, but for an EP I do not use often it makes little sense to fork out the extra for those 20 deg extra FOV (which does mean twice the area of sky in the FOV). The nice feature of the SLVs is their near parfocality with the XW series. That is very handy for switching back and forth between magnification. The Delos 8 is WAY off the mark in those terms. Should I get a 9mm SLV to fill the minute gap between the XW 10 and Delos 8, the latter might feel the squeeze a bit, as I might shift from SLV 9 to XW 7 directly rather than choosing the Delos 8. Time will tell.

It's good to hear your thoughts on the slv range. I was tempted by starfox's 5mm but thought it would be a touch to much mag on the old Tal

I am glad you didn't get it, because now I have it :D

It is probably too much under most conditions for my C8 (also F/10, like the Tal), but in the 80mm APM triplet it is fine. Apart from use in a light-weight travel set (MV 24, WO 22.5-7.5 zoom, SLV5) with the APM80, I will use it for white-light solar. Even on the C8 it should be OK for extremely good conditions, especially for lunar and Mars (I have used the XW10 with 2x TeleXtender on Mars with good results at some point).

Michael,

Nice report on the eyepiece, when read "the MaxVision was first" my first thoughts were there will be a 22mm Nagler on the market tomorrow. :grin: :grin:

John,

Your always taken seriously, well at least by me :rolleyes: . I see TS has these in stock now, they didn't have them a while back. May well add one or two.

I am glad you didn't get it, because now I have it :D

It is probably too much under most conditions for my C8 (also F/10, like the Tal)

He he well at the moment I've not had the skies for much of anything.

Eye piece wise I'm in a quandary between the ES 6mm 100degrees and the 6mm SLV I can see the merits of both...

The FOV of the TV plossls is probably their one and only drawback, but then you don't have to pay delos or ethos prices for them! :D

What did you think of the contrast Michael, when using the TV plossl and the MV?

I find the plossl a bit too much on some objects, M45 would be one of them.

Brights a bit too bright and darks too dark with less of the subtle variation I get with my 24mm MV (82°), but it may just be me.

When I reported on these I wondered if I was going to be taken seriously so it's good to see that I was not imagining the quality of the views. 

But you are the eyepiece oracle!

Why wouldn't we take you seriously!  :eek:

I think I might need to go and have a lie down.

My SGL world has just been shaken to the foundations.

Archived