Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice on starter kit for 6 year old

My nephew is 6 years old and has just moved into his new house. His bedroom is in the loft and I have promised to buy him a telescope. I've been doing a lot of reading on telescopes, and still need some help please. I want to buy him something decent (but not too expensive), that will keep his interest in being able to see as much as possible, clearly. I figured that a reflector will be best, but other than that, I am at a loss as to what is a good quality, reasonably priced, starter kit. Thanks, Kim

When I was a kid, I had my room under the roof too. When I got my first telescope it was a refractor with a set of prisms to put the image upright. While it was great for the moon and some planets, it got a great deal of mileage during the day too (we lived on the edge of the village). Six-year-old tend not to stay up all night. Reflectors are more useful for the astronomy part of things.

Hello Kim, Have a look on the website First Light Optics in the section starter scopes. The descriptions and reviews will give you a good idea as to what is available. A very good starter scope would be the SW 130 heritage flexitube, but it will need a bit of maintenance with collimating the mirrors. Best of luck in your choice.

Assuming the idea is that he will use it in the loft (not ideal as heat thermals make image wobble) will the telescope need to be on a tripod or would there be a table available to put a telescope on?

This needs a table not good for daytime use.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/skywatcher-heritage-100p-tabletop-dobsonian.html

This needs a table and has a tracking mount but at 6 he will need help with it, normally much more expensive but is a clearance item as a return. Could be used for daytime use.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/clearance/clearance_skywatcher-heritage-90-virtuoso_16635.htm

This one is on a tripod with easy left right up down movement. Could be used in the day time.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/startravel/skywatcher-mercury-705.html

Daytime use excludes looking at the sun you Must use special filters and precautions for that.

You would get more for a budget if looked at second hand.

Those are just examples to give you something to think about.

There is a skymax 90 on ebay pretty cheap unfortunately they some on a equatorial tripod however the skymax 90 could be used on a camera tripod, these are great compact telescopes and will pack a big punch on the moon and Jupiter and take magnification for long distance what can I see or bird table spotting, with the right diagonal they will give right way to view.

Though at age 6 I guess any day time observing would have to be supervised as the dangers of the sun are literally blinding.

Unlike a refractor there is pretty much no chromatic aberration (CA) which is a blue edge on bright objects like the moon or tree branches against the sky.

Hi Monkey,

I would certainly take your nephew to a planetarium if you have one nearby; that was my first introduction and it was magical. My own experience is current as I just bought my 8 year old niece a 'telescope'. It was a vixen handy eye 'spotting' scope 22x50 which came with a table top tripod, case and carry strap. It is extremely light, optics seem great from quick looks before wrapping, fits onto a camera tripod and is the size of a small camcorder. I figured that if she doesn't take to astronomy she will have an erect image monocular to play with during the daytime. It was around £70.

I looked at quite a few spotting scopes with zooms before hand and they looked good also - just a little too much money for me to gamble despite her being brave enough to have climbed a ladder with the 20" f/5. Also got a red torch, moon map, and some glow in the dark stickers for her ceiling.

I concur with posters above with regards to refractors - I think that is what kids mean when they think 'telescope'. As a life long reflector user I would not recommend a reflector in this case to a 6 year old; they want immediate gratification with no learning curve - a chip off the old block probably :) Getting a good spotter might get them into nature too.

Regards

Dannae

Thank you all so much for taking time out to give me your advice, I really appreciate it. I think you're right, I've over complicated my search and a child's idea of a telescope is what it should look like. I hope he takes a real enjoyment with it for many years to come, I'm very tempted to get one for myself too!

Thanks again for all your help x

Have a look at celestron they have 2 travel scopes. They come with a backpack to put it all into and pack away. They are refractors and are useful for bird spotting or using on holidays. But the warning about the sun still counts. Hope this helps. Hope he has fun.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless his heart is set on a telescope, how about binoculars? Much easier to store and get out easily/quickly (no tripod, no eyepieces to find etc), less hassle to set up and use, easier/more intuitive to find the big hitters he would enjoy - Moon and planets, maybe Orion nebula on a dark night? 10 x 42 would give nice views and shouldn't be too heavy for him

He definitely wants a telescope, he's really excited about it.

WHEN I buy one for myself, I'll definitely be back for some more advice.

My husband told me we'll be able to see the international space station on Christmas eve, so looking forward to showing the kids. I'm also going to have a look out for the meteor shower tonight!

Thanks again everyone for all your help, have a great Christmas!

Archived