Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQMOD for dummies

I am about to embark on the use of EQMOD control for my AZ-EQ6 mount and am immediately overwhelmed by the information on the ASCOM and EQMOD websites!

I have read through some of the instructions but just glaze over after the first few paragraphs - it is so complicated + there seems to be so many permutations. 

1. Am I correct that to start I need to download the current versions of ASCOM, 6.1SPI and then EQASCOM - to be honest I am not sure what the difference is between them i.e. what they each do. 
  2. Assuming this is correct what would be the next step to get it working with Cartes du Ciel?

Thanks. 

it is a little complicated if your not pc savvy like me, but yes you need ascom platform 6.1, this acts like a go between for all your ascom compatible devices like eqmod, ascom cameras and your ascom compatible mount.

cartes du ciel or stellarium, but if your using stellarium you need to download stellarium scope as well this acts as a go between so the software can talk to each other, cartes is easier but doesn`t look as nice for me.

one other thing that catches people out is when you try to start eq mod with your mount attached make sure your using the correct com port, open device manager on the computer and click on the eqmod device, i think it`s in ports, and it will show you which com port it`s connected to, then go to c / programs / eqmod / toolbax and use the set up and choose the same port as in device manager.

The best advice I ever received for anything astro related was to set it up and test it during daylight hours, preferably inside if you can.  It's much easier for you to miss something obvious while rushing to get it working during a few precious hours of clear sky.

Set it up, test it, get it working, pull it apart and set it up again and make sure it still works.

As mentioned, COM ports can be a pain, if you use a different USB port next session then the COM port number will change.  Write down or label which USB socket you use for EQMOD and always use the same one.

Are you using an EQDIRECT adapter or going through the handset?

Cheers,

Ian

FLO also has some good info on EQMOD on their website:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/blog/eqmod-controlling-the-heq5-neq6-and-other-mounts-directly-from-a-pc.html

I am just going down the EQMOD route myself. The advice to set it up in daylight is good advice. So far I have slewed to a Star in Cartes du Ceil and returned to 'Parked' using the EQMOD command. I'm ready to now try Pulse Guiding, but of course, we need a clear sky for that :).

Gina,

Chris has produced a load of videos on youtube that cover not only the basics, but more advanced options available.  It's worth sitting down with a cuppa and having a watch.

Thanks for the comments: so that's download ASCOM 6.1 and EQASCOM and then connect?. I am using an EQDIRECT adapter.

Malcolm, could you please direct me to the YouTube videos you mention - a picture's worth a thousand words!

No problem.

This is his channel https://www.youtube.com/user/chrisshillito/videos?spfreload=10

Basically, download and install ASCOM platform and "drivers" for your mount.  Then download the latest version of EQMOD.  You'll also need an EQDirect cable to suit your mount, which can be purchased or DIY.  Dependingn on the chipset you may need to download the USB driver for the cable too.

Windows will see the EQdirect cable as a serial COM port.  As mentioned you can use device manager to identify the port number assigned to it.  This should be noted so that when you set up EQMOD you can tell it where to look for the scope.

More info can be downloaded from the documentation page http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/tutindex.html

For starters  try the following:

• Connect the EQdirect cable to the mount and PC
  • Turn on the power to the mount
  • Boot up the PC.
  • Check the com port assigned to the EQdirect cable
  • Assuming ASCOM and EQmod has been installed, launch EQMOD from the EQASCOM folder and enter the com port assigned, along with the details of longitude and latitude etc
  • If you have issues open EQASCOM from the toolbox folder and set the com port up from there
  • Once connected release the clutches on the mount and click on the unpark bitton, then click on the "park to home" position.  Once it flashes "parked" lock the mount in the default home position.
  • You can then open your preferred planetarium application and connect to the ASCOM platform and select the scope, and connect to it.
  • Once you have located your target after using whatever method to direct the slew from the planetarium application, you should confirm that the mount is pointing correctly, such as using the right mouse button on the target and select sync (in CdC). the more sync points you enter the better the alignments will become.

Hope that helps

No problem.

This is his channel https://www.youtube.com/user/chrisshillito/videos?spfreload=10

Basically, download and install ASCOM platform and "drivers" for your mount.  Then download the latest version of EQMOD.  You'll also need an EQDirect cable to suit your mount, which can be purchased or DIY.  Dependingn on the chipset you may need to download the USB driver for the cable too.

Windows will see the EQdirect cable as a serial COM port.  As mentioned you can use device manager to identify the port number assigned to it.  This should be noted so that when you set up EQMOD you can tell it where to look for the scope.

More info can be downloaded from the documentation page http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/tutindex.html

For starters  try the following:

• Connect the EQdirect cable to the mount and PC
  • Turn on the power to the mount
  • Boot up the PC.
  • Check the com port assigned to the EQdirect cable
  • Assuming ASCOM and EQmod has been installed, launch EQMOD from the EQASCOM folder and enter the com port assigned, along with the details of longitude and latitude etc
  • If you have issues open EQASCOM from the toolbox folder and set the com port up from there
  • Once connected release the clutches on the mount and click on the unpark bitton, then click on the "park to home" position.  Once it flashes "parked" lock the mount in the default home position.
  • You can then open your preferred planetarium application and connect to the ASCOM platform and select the scope, and connect to it.
  • Once you have located your target after using whatever method to direct the slew from the planetarium application, you should confirm that the mount is pointing correctly, such as using the right mouse button on the target and select sync (in CdC). the more sync points you enter the better the alignments will become.
Hope that helps

Pete,

When you first power up and connect, EQmod has no idea what position the scope is in.  Releasing the clutches means that if the software thinks it needs to drive the mount to what it thinks is the home position that it can do without the fear of the mount hitting any obstruction such as the tripod or pillar.  Once it has set the home position in the software and the scope is placed in the normal home position, such as that for an EQ mount and locked in that position, any goto command sent to the mount should mean that everything is then in sync (assuming any polar alignment is close to the Polar Axis).

May I ask a dumb question? I know I could google this, but I would be grateful if someone were to explain in one paragraph why I might want EQMOD. I have an AZ- EQ6 too and I use it fine without it. What am I missing? Thanks! :-)

EQmod won't suit everyone, and in some circumstances using the supplied handset will provide all the control over the mount that you want.  However EQmod does offer additional control when guiding etc, and is probably more suited to fixed installations in observatories or where the mount is permanently kept outside and is controlled via a PC.

Malcolm,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't release the clutches before my first 'unpark', and the mount didn't move at all. But, I can see what you are saying, that there is a possibility of the mount moving. Not a problem with my mount though.

Ouroboros, if you read the info in the link I posted in post #7, it may help answer your question if no-one comes forward with a reply to it.

May I ask a dumb question? I know I could google this, but I would be grateful if someone were to explain in one paragraph why I might want EQMOD. I have an AZ- EQ6 too and I use it fine without it. What am I missing? Thanks! :-)

You've posed an impossible question I'm afraid - there a just too many features/benfits to cover in a single paragraph. So I'll give you a list instead.

User interface:

gamepad support - button functions totally configurable.

User configerable sound for command feedback - i.e speech if desired.

Total independance from the synscan hancontroller.

Initial Setup:

Time/timezone/daylight savings etc taken From PC, corrected by GPS

Observing site - can store 10 preset locations.

Supports a wide range of GPS for automatic location and time sync correction.

Accurate polar alignment tool.

Star Alignment.

No restriction on alignment star selection. You can align on ANY star in the sky, you are not set to a limited number of stars in a small list, you can choose a 15th magnitude star if you want, although not recommended :)

N-Point model.

Pointing models can be saved and restored for those with permanent mounts.

Pointing model can be refined by via sync to add new points.

Gotos:

Goto accuracy improved by pointing model and iterative gotos.

Limit protection for user defined Horizon

Mosaic builder

Abililty to perform 'flipped' (counter weights up)  gotos

slewing:

User definable slew rates on RA and DEC any where from 0.1x to 800x sidereal

User definable preset rates (10 max).

Spiral search

Object Database:

Only restricted by the ASCOM client you're using

User definable tours. show objects above horizon or any other declination you choose

No restriction on the number of user objects.

Park Scope:

Multiple custom park position.

Park on horizon limits or RA limits

PEC Training:

Automatic PE recording and PEC.

Ability to load/save multiple PEC traces

Visualisation of worm phase and likely PE even when PEC not engaged.

Tracking:

PEC, if enabled, is integral part of Sidereal rate not a separate rate.

Custom RA and DEC rates supported including comet/asteroid tecking via ephemeris data import

Limit protection for user defined Horizon and RA limits

Autoguiding:

Pulseguide support, Visualisation of guiding corrections/performance,

Close integration with PEC.

Thanks, Chrisshillito. That looks a comprehensive list.

I must say I'm quite attracted to be able to control the mount directly from my laptop. But I think for the time being I will focus on using and learning how to use the kit I've got rather than introducing more technical complexity.

Archived