NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Please suggest me an equipment

Hello everybody,

I am just an amateur, interested in astronomy and planning to buy a good but economical telescope.

For the same, i did some research in the internet regarding the specifications and thus i came across your models.

While going through the various models available with Galileo telescopes, I got interested with the following telescopes.

Skyview IV - 70mm AZ Refractor Telescope, Konus Konustart 900 Motor Electronic and Galileo Skyview III - Refracting Telescope for the Experts

And in Celesrton telescopes, i came across two series - Powerseeker and Astromaster.

While referring their specifications, there were some models with almost the same specifications, but comes in two different series.

Could you please help me in differentiating those two series.

And kindly tell me your opinion about Celestron Powerseeker 70AZ and

​​

Celestron PowerSeeker 76 AZ

Kindly suggest me a preferential order among these telescopes, if i want to observe some nebulae, Saturn rings, may be moons of Jupiter (if possible) etc.

And kindly enlighten me with what other celestial objects would be visible with each.

To be honest you would be better off spending your money on a decent pair of binoculars.

The Galileo Skyview III has a 60mm aperture, but with a focal length of 700mm gives you a focal ratio of f11, so will only be good enough for observing the moon and larger bright planets.  It should show you the four large moons of Jupiter,  but will be little or no use for nebula etc.

If you really want to get a telescope then look at getting a Dobsonian.   You'll get more aperture for your money, and will have a more versatile telescope

Hi there, it's very difficult choosing a first telescope, but my advice is for you to go with the biggest aperture you can afford, the Celestron PowerSeeker 76 AZ seems a good starter scope but if you can find one with a 90mm aperture or more that would be even better.  This one here at 102mm aperture looks about right: http://spacearcade.in/102mm-refractor-f900-telescope.html  But it all depends on your budget.

In general get a refractor, they are less trouble to maintain and that is likely to be relevant.

Something says avoid the Konus.

Many of the scopes are simply made at one place and are branded as Skywatcher, Celestron and other names. That is why they are similar spoecification, they are probably the same scope with a different name on the side.

The difference between the 2 Celestron Powerseeker's is simple one is a 70mm diameter objective the other a 76mm diameter objective - the second is a bit bigger, none are great but that generally means an ED and that means a lot more money. Suspect you are doing the right thing by starting inexpensive, then deciding what to do - carry on or throw it all in a river.

Therefore the 76 sould be better, not by a lot but a little.

Supplied eyepieces are usually not good, however foreither an inexpensive plossl (GSO, Revelation) should work well. It means buying one or two at some time.

To see Jupiter you do not need a lot, 50x will do so a 10mm eyepiece and 70x even better.

Saturn will need 100x or 120x, guessing the scope is 700mm focal length, so a 7mm or 5mm eyepiece. Will say do not go expecting a 5mm to give perfect views, you are getting to the limit of what the scope can do. The views could be awful if too much magnification

DSO's and others things will be visible, just pick sensible ones.

Double stars are a good option Albireo, Almaak etc.

I'm trying to be civil here, but I have two pieces of advice that I always offer to a new astronomer seeking telescope advice...

1.  When it comes to refractors, junk usually stops above 70mm.

2.  When it comes to Deep Space Objects, aperture rules... and Dobs rule aperture.

I suggest a 6" or 8" Dob for a first scope.  It will give you good views of the planets, as well as opening the universe up... giving you access to thousands of objects.

Clear Skies

Think id tend to agree with post  #5 

The Celestron power seekers hardly cover them selves in glory as a first scope TBH, and I think I'd stay well away from them and keep saving up. As said a 6' (150mm in toy town measurement) Dob is where I'd be looking to start my observing career if I was starting out now. 

Keep saving, you won't regret it.

If you can use a screwdriver, you can adjust an "alignment" on Dobsonian telescope without a problem. Dobsonians also don't need a tripod, which can cost you waaaay more than a telescope.

My personal advice is to buy the best telescope on which you can afford to "loose" your money. I meant if you will quit this hobby and never sell the scope, you will not be condemning yourself for it. That's what I did.

There are simple guides available online for making sure the alignment of a reflector design telescope is good. So don't be put off that design. Therefore, I would concur with the suggestion to buy the biggest Dobsonian your budget and storage space allows. Do you have dark skies where you live?

Archived