Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M31 WIP - Pixinsight re-process

tingting44

This is my 1st real go at stacking and processing an image completely with PI, ive had it must be about 2 weeks now, i think im improving with my processing side of things

This is only a re-process of the 4 hours worth of subs grabbed on the 29th of September would you believe it! that was the last time i had clear skies with no moon :(

Pixinsight process

15728554748_e114a7aa72_c.jpg

M31 (Pixinsight) by tingting44, on Flickr

Photoshop process

15147531728_ebb0956971_c.jpg

M31 - WIP by tingting44, on Flickr

Single 10min sub

15730354617_f0f4164066_c.jpg

M31  (single 10min sub) by tingting44, on Flickr

You have a huge amount of data there and the PI image shows it. If I maybe honest I think that you have overdone the sharpening way over the top in the PS version, perhaps you could go for the best of both worlds by allowing the detail to come through without sharpening the stars.

Regards,

A.G

Well, for me the PI version wins hands down there - very nice and natural looking with loads of detail. I tend to agree with AG - the PS version looks over - sharpened and, to my eyes at least, also looks as though you've clipped the black.

Steve

Thanks for the kind comments everyone....

yes the PS version blacks are clipped..... that was where my processing skills were 2 months ago when I processed this data and I thought it were good then, 2 months later and I have come on leaps and bounds so im happy, maybe ill get more data this month......before M31 is gone....hey ho I live in hope......

I think you were more experienced and had a softer touch in processing the PI version. You've certainly found details well into to the core, something which PI is good at but, for me, it does so with that 'PI signature' which I find slightly intrusive.

I think that, in both cases, you need to isolate the stars from some of the processing, most notably sharpening. Lovely small field stars in the PI version, though. Powdery!

Certainly the PI one is better though I think the Ps one in the end might have been the better with slightly different approaches. The PI one suggests that the galaxy is uniformly bright from close to the core to the outer arms, but this isn't so. There is also no colour change showing, yet the core has older, more evolved and, therefore redder stars than the arms.

I'm being very critical but the PI image is a good M31, don't get me wrong.

Olly

I think you were more experienced and had a softer touch in processing the PI version. You've certainly found details well into to the core, something which PI is good at but, for me, it does so with that 'PI signature' which I find slightly intrusive.

I think that, in both cases, you need to isolate the stars from some of the processing, most notably sharpening. Lovely small field stars in the PI version, though. Powdery!

Certainly the PI one is better though I think the Ps one in the end might have been the better with slightly different approaches. The PI one suggests that the galaxy is uniformly bright from close to the core to the outer arms, but this isn't so. There is also no colour change showing, yet the core has older, more evolved and, therefore redder stars than the arms.

I'm being very critical but the PI image is a good M31, don't get me wrong.

Olly

Evening :D lly

Thats it Olly, you can tell i was not on top of my processing a few months ago as i thought the PS version was good and did not even notice the blacks were clipped, looking back on it now how could i not notice the black point....

yes i was happy with the amount of detail i could get into right into the core on the PI version, also very shocked at how much more dust is showing in M31's outer regions

You are right i need to isolate the stars more, this is something i done for the 1st time with PI for a few actions, ive got a lot more processing technique's i want to try. i wonder what the side by side versions of PI & PS would look like going at them both with a soft approach on processing instead of one sharp (PS) version and one soft (PI) version, and both at the same level of processing......

Thanks Olly morphilogical transformation is certainly nice for powdery stars lol :)

next reprocess i will try to get more of a colour change showing also

by all means, i dont take your comment in a bad way, its how we learn, you say it how it is and i think thats great :)

Archived