Skywatcher 130 Explorer

jake44

Hi, this is my first post and I am a new member.

I have just bought a Skywatcher 130 Explorer telescope and tried it out for the first time tonight.

I fitted the 25 mm lens to look at the moon and got a very good image. When I fit the x2 Barlow lens to the 25mm lens I could not get the moon in focus.

When I tried it with the 10mm lens it focused perfectly.

Is this normal?

Regards

Yes and also had a good image in the 25 and 10mm lenses. There didn't seem to be enough travel in the focuser but there was when used with the 10mm lens.

I would have expected it to be able to be used with both lens

Malcolm

Thanks John, seems like a friendly site.

Just checked the Barlow x2 with the 25mm and it seems to be ok, over a short distance. Don't know what I was doing last night but couldn't get it to work with the 25mm lens.

Enjoyed first look at the moon though.

Malcolm

I have this scope, I must confess I haven't used it much as It's getting the right surface for me. I do own a nice 2x barlow but sadly have not used it with this scope as I lean't it out to a friend. I'll see if I can get mine back and try mine, I'll let you know how I get on.

Clear skies

Tom.

Hi Jake,and welcome. Like Tom,I have this scope,but don't use it as much as I should-nothing to do with the scope,it's a great beginner scope! I can't recall any problems with using a Barlow with it-in fact I have used a TAL x2 Barlow on stars,the moon,planets and DSO's(notably M42) to good effect. I'd certainly suggest that you get some better EPs as and when you can afford them,that will really show you what this scope is capable of. Enjoy!

Thanks everyone, I can see from looking at the ads that better lens will improve the resolution and definition, and I think that will be my first priority for any mods.

I thought that I would see what the scope is capable of and then decide what to buy to improve it.

Malcolm

Archived