Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ5 Altitude Bolt, again. Parts Suppliers?

cuivenion

Hi, I have a bent Altitude bolt on my EQ5 mount. I've been looking for a replacement and found this:

http://www.365astronomy.com/m8x83-latitude-adjustment-screw-polar-alignment-srew-for-eq3-eq5-mounts-long-p-3352.html

Unfortunately they have no idea when it will be in stock. It 'might' be three weeks, so thats not really any good for me. Does anyone know where I can get this part? It's apparently made from higher grade steel than the original and is a quite reasonable £6.

I know there's some very well produced versions available but I wasn't wanting to pay that much for a bolt so I'm looking for alternatives.

If I recall it is an M8 bolt, and the 365Astro ones are 10cm end to end (the long bolt is).

So I guess an M8 bolt 10cm long with a hex head should do, you then adjust with an allen key.

Not 100% sure as the end of the bolt is rounded and this may be requied.

Check the bolt size, I thought the pair I have were for the EQ5 but they are M10, however I may have bought them for the HEQ5. Whichever they were for I never got round to fitting either.

Just checked and it looks like I bought HEQ5 bolts, means I need a set of EQ5 ones as well. Sounds like something for Astrofest in Feburary.

There must be others then 365Astro that supply similar, although theirs seem good.

There are stainless bolts shop about this company sell them use a rachet with a box spanner to adjust...postage is a bit high but still cheaper.....

http://www.nutandboltshop.com/acatalog/m24.html

Looks like just the job thanks, I've got a couple of old speaker lighting stand bolts lying around, maybe I can take the knurled knob off one of them and fit it onto the hex bolt.

There are stainless bolts shop about this company sell them use a rachet with a box spanner to adjust.

No need to use a spanner of any type.

The reason people get problems is that they use these screws as jacks.

When adjusting, back off the screw in the direction you wish to go.

Then take the weight of your mount in your hand and push it up to the screw you have just moved.

Then follow up with the second bolt, by hand, this ensures no stress on the bolt or threads.

No need to use a spanner of any type.

The reason people get problems is that they use these screws as jacks.

When adjusting, back off the screw in the direction you wish to go.

Then take the weight of your mount in your hand and push it up to the screw you have just moved.

Then follow up with the second bolt, by hand, this ensures no stress on the bolt or threads.

Makes sense, probably how I damaged in the first place, I can be heavy handed.

Hi there,

I've just upgraded my Eq6 with an aluminum block so the screw hits it in a 90° angle. I'm not sure if there is a supplier in your country for those and if it's possible to modify the eq5 that way but all I can say is: that modification is easy and your screws won't ever bend again.

The report is in german but perhaps it helps (there are pictures too)

http://www.astronomieforum.at/viewtopic.php?f=9&p=63560#p63560

CS

Thomas

Just drop in an M8 bolt (of the correct length & thread) to see you through. Practically any DIY store bolt  is going to be stronger than the tat they put in from the factory. I wouldn't waste your time with front bolts as the only bolt that bends is the weight baring bolt and tbh this probably wouldn't happen so often if they designed the mount better (like the new EQ8 ALT bolt system).

Just get an M10 x 100mm BZP (Bright Zinc Plated) bolt - it will last for quite a while.  Not stainless but they wont rust if you keep them dry.

Roger, why not the 'stainless' ones? - silly question, but curious to know the answer!  :iamwithstupid: 

Wilkinsons sell M8 bolts in various lengths OK 2 lengths I think, part of their fill a bag for 1.99 stuff.

Equally still get the ones from 365 as they have rounded ends and whatever at the other end to make life better.

If you can find a nice ball bearing, you could drill the end of the bolt and pop it in the hole. make it very nice to your alloy push plate -

Personally, I think those EQ6/5 machines are designed for static use on a pier - I don't have to adjust mine at all and it consequently doesn't wear/bend at all.....

If you can find a nice ball bearing, you could drill the end of the bolt and pop it in the hole. make it very nice to your alloy push plate -

Personally, I think those EQ6/5 machines are designed for static use on a pier - I don't have to adjust mine at all and it consequently doesn't wear/bend at all.....

• 3 years later...

Archived