Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Plossl lenses

I have two Plossl lenses, 10mm and 25mm. I am a little unsure as to what they should look like. My son had the telescope for a number of years and I recently had it back. The 10mm has a lens at one end, the other end has a metal tube internally threaded with nothing screwed into it. The 25mm is similar except that it has a lens screwed into the metal tube. It looks as if I will have to buy another 10mm Plossl doesn't it?

Thanks in anticipation

Brian

My Skywatcher supplied  'Super' 10mm and 25mm eyepieces are similar, the 10mm looks like something is missing but there isn't. Also the Skywatcher supplied  EPs are NOT Plossl, but Modified Achromats. Not sure of your brand as you don't mention.

I looks like the 25mm has a Barlow lens screwed into it (the black bit at the bottom), take that off. The silver tube should be at the bottom and should be open ended. It is that part which slides into the telescope's draw tube.

If screwed directly to an EP it will give a slightly less power factor of about 1.5x instead of 2x if the original barlow+extension reads 2x.  So for the link above, your looking at a 2x Barlow. Just using the black lens cell will give @ 1.5x.  Barlows can also be stacked if you had two or more?

......sorry meddyliol. abbreviations can be a pain in the donkey if you don't understand them. Yes I should have added 'eyepiece' after  EP. But now you know. Dont be afraid to ask further questions either, no doubt more abbreviations will appear?

Archived