Paracorr Type 1 - hints & tips please.

Paul73

I have just aquired one of these in anticipation of an ungrade to a bigger faster Dob in the future. I was going to wait and try without, but faced with a potential bargain and with the advice of the collective SGL Dob Mob egging me on, I hit the "increase bid" button. 15 seconds later I became the proud, if slightly surprised, owner of yet another piece of essential Astro kit.

Tele Vue claim big benefits at F5 so I reckon that I'll give it a go on my current F4.7 scope. I've never a coma corrector before and would be greatful for any hints and tips for getting the best out of it given my rather meagre scope/eypiece(s) combination.

Any thoughts?

Paul

For those on Tap Talk:

Scope : SW 250px Flex Tube Dob.

Eyepieces : MaxVision 68° 28, 24, 20 & 16mm: Delos 12 & 8mm: Vixen SLV 6 & 5mm

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have mine yet it is with the scope maker in Holland. I got mine S/H from Moonshane and he used his with a 13mm Ethos I know he had for a good while. He knows I have a good few of them and I don't think he would have sold me it if he thought it was not up to the job.

The New Paracorr is for down to F3 but it costs an arm and both legs.

Alan.

I guess that with none TV eyepieces (& Delos) it is just trial and error as to the settings?

Paul

Paul, 

Simple method: Use an eyepiece whose setting you know for the Paracor. Focus the scope and lock the focuser. Swap eyepiece and focus by moving the turntable top until you achieve focus. Note the setting and move to the next eyepiece.

Paul,

I reckon it is still a few weeks away, maybe first week in December.

The built in type of paracorr sounds very good but I was not offered this as an extra none did I know of it. It was only when Dan told me about it that I knew. The scope will have a Moonlite focuser, I can live with that though it is something I would have taken if I had know. :huh:

My scope is F4.33 so not the fastest on earth.

Alan

Paul,

I reckon it is still a few weeks away, maybe first week in December.

The built in type of paracorr sounds very good but I was not offered this as an extra none did I know of it. It was only when Dan told me about it that I knew. The scope will have a Moonlite focuser, I can live with that though it is something I would have taken if I had know. :huh:

My scope is F4.33 so not the fastest on earth.

Alan

Exciting stuff.

Although the wisdom of perminently strapping another piece of glass in the lightpath could be debated. There will be times when you need the absolute maximum on axis resolution. I can't see how sticking something extra between the star and your Mk1 can help in that situation.

Paul

Mine is f4 and the Paracorr is what makes stars look like stars instead of seagull droppings  :shocked:  :grin:

Yeah, it's more just that there was a long conversation on here recently about whether 250px's need a coma corrector/paracorr, or if one is desirable, or if it doesn't make that big a difference. There seemed to be a wide range of opinion. In mine, I notice a few stars like seagulls, but they lurk around the edges.

Any Dob / Newt will benefit from a Paracorr. Obviously the faster the f ratio the better the correction, but this is also linked to the eyepieces used. 

Use 100 degree AFOV eyepieces and it is a necessity. Use 60 degree AFOV eyepieces and the benefit will be much less....

Exciting stuff.

Although the wisdom of perminently strapping another piece of glass in the lightpath could be debated. There will be times when you need the absolute maximum on axis resolution. I can't see how sticking something extra between the star and your Mk1 can help in that situation.

Paul

The SIPS system can be removed if one really wishes for some reason.......cant think why for the life of me you'd want to. One simply removes the optical unit by unscrewing it. Then remove the focuser (Three grub screws) and take the spacer unit out. One can then replace the focuser. It takes longer to describe than to do :D

Yes, but don't you have to collimate without the SIPS in place first?

Edit: Apparently Starlight Instruments recommends removing the optical elements for collimation unless Howie Glatter tools are used.

More editing: There is always a trade-off. At least you don;t need to find the proper setting with a SIPS as opposed to a Paracorr so there is a benefit to that  :grin:

I'll be sure to report back. I do notice some coma, but not enough to get too upset about. Paracorrs are not cheap, so I would not have risked the £100 if I wasn't planning an upgrade to a bigger faster Dob in the future.

Just need the clouds to clear.

Paul

Yes, but don't you have to collimate without the SIPS in place first?

EDIT: Apparently Starlight Instruments recommends removing the optical elements for collimation unless Howie Glatter tools are used.

let me try and explain how simple it is.

Take your scope outside. collimate, screw in paracorr, Done. 

At the end of the evening unscrew paracorr place in eyepiece case. done. 

Theres no need to touch the paracorr at all in between these two operations.

let me try and explain how simple it is.

Take your scope outside. collimate, screw in paracorr, Done. 

At the end of the evening unscrew paracorr place in eyepiece case. done. 

Theres no need to touch the paracorr at all in between these two operations.

Steve, I already use a Paracorr T2 with my scope and I am loving it.

I was referring to the SIPS system you mentioned which is integrated with the focuser  :grin:

Or is this the process with the SIPS? You somehow unscrew the lens assembly, collimate and put it back in place I suppose?

I was referring to the SIPS system you mentioned which is integrated with the focuser  :grin:

Or is this the process with the SIPS? You somehow unscrew the lens assembly, collimate and put it back in place I suppose?

I was explaining  how you use the SIPS system. :)

Archived