Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A simple observatory

pyrasanth

My telescope is in the back garden protected with tele gizmo covers. However my garage wall is 10 feet away. I drilled a hole through the garage wall & feed power & USB connectors through the hole. The external cables are weathered proofed in a plastic lock box when not being used. I wired 2 new double sockets where the cables come into the garage & mounted 2 monitors on the wall. I then built a server & connected this permanently. I then cloned all the astronomy software setup off the previous laptop that was being used outside & put this onto the server.

The difference is now amazing I can be reasonably warm & dry & setup in a few minutes as opposed to the 20 mins it took previously. I have Ethernet over the mains so I also have network & internet access. The SkyX controls the telescope & focusmax works in tandem with the stepper focuser so it's all good. I feel I have evolved! :smiley: but sadly the weather has not......and my feet still get cold even in the garage.

Hi pyrasanth - read your post several times but still puzzled how you get your eye to the EP from at least 10ft away whilst you're in your garage - am I missing something?  Or did you leave something out?  And yes warm boots are called for :grin:

Hi pyrasanth - read your post several times but still puzzled how you get your eye to the EP from at least 10ft away whilst you're in your garage - am I missing something?  Or did you leave something out?  And yes warm boots are called for :grin:

I am not a visual observer so I only download  images from a CCD camera via the USB interface. My very poor sky precludes any other means for deep sky work, I stay in my new garage "cave" and control everything remotely as the Paramount MX+ is a robotic mount so provided it has a computer connected I can control it from anywhere. The USB interface cable  through the garage wall connects to the telescope and acts as a data conduit for telescope control & image transfer. I have an inline amplifier (active USB cable)  to boost the USB signal strength

Foam rubber interlocking floor tiles are good for insulation as well as protecting gear when you drop it :D  They are about 2ft square and available from the usual online sources :)  About 10mm thick.

Look in the Sunday papers for the big slipper u can plug it in and it keeps ur feet warm lol

Also know as "Granny Killers" in certain parts of the Accident & Emergency world. picture the scene- granny is toasty warm reading her People's Friend. The phone rings, she steps up to answer it, forgetting that her feet are effectively tied together. And then face-plants into the fireplace.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Archived