NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pre-Meade Coronado for imaging

cshahar

Hi Everyone:

I have an opportunity to buy a 90mm double-stacked pre-Meade Coronado, which apparently is in very good condition. What do you think of this scope for solar imaging, assuming there is no rust on the etalon coatings. Is the 1 1/4 eyepiece diameter a problem for CCD work? Any other issues I should be aware of? Any questions I should ask the seller?

Thanks!

-Charles

i have no experience of the scope, but 90mm aperture sounds great!  the current PST is 1 1/4 eyepiece and does not give me any problems with my DMK21au618 other than the nose piece had to be shortened to achieve focus. not sure whether you would have similar focus issue with the pre-Meade Coronado.

I have a Single Stack 60mm (meade era) and it works a treat for me. 2.5x barlow is probably the highest power I can get away with for close ups but all in all they're good scopes.

If you can forgive my dodgy post processing theres an image here I took with it on the 5th.

Cheers

Will

I have a Single Stack 60mm (meade era) and it works a treat for me. 2.5x barlow is probably the highest power I can get away with for close ups but all in all they're good scopes.

If you can forgive my dodgy post processing theres an image here I took with it on the 5th.

Cheers

Will

my x2.5 Powermate hardly ever leaves the PST it like they were made for each other!

my x2.5 Powermate hardly ever leaves the PST it like they were made for each other!

Agreed, mine is borrowed and its been so invaluable (for solar, deep sky, pretty much everything!) I'm definitely going to invest when I have to give it back!

Charles,

I assume if it's pre-Meade then the double stacking is achieved using two external etalons - I would confirm this with the seller...

The SM90 filter is VERY heavy, two of them doubley so!

I would seek confirmation on the performance - solar images if possible. And double check the ITF on the blocking filter. This is an old set-up and there's a strong possibility that the ITF has begun to fail.

Any photos?

(A SM90 double stack should give some excellent views/ images of the sun. I used a SM60 external double stack for many years (on an ED80) and was very happy with it)

Some sound advice there and not a lot I could really add, except to say check the ERF and if possible check the performance before purchasing. I am assuming its a bit expensive so you don't want to end up with something that's not right.

Mind 90mm double stack is going to provide some excellent views, but best break out the heavy duty mount.

Robin

Archived