Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

64 bit compatability

ultramol

Hi, I have just bought a 64 bit laptop and realise now I cannot use the canon utility program with my 350D camera. Are all canon cameras stuck with 32 bit drivers or are there any models that will allow  me to use utilities with 64 bit. Thanks in advance....Geoff

The Canon software seems to work fine on my 64-bit machines.  I wasn't aware there were different version for different cameras.  Have you tried downloading the latest releases from the Canon site?

James

Oh, last time I looked, the Canon site required you to enter the serial number of your camera to be able to download the software.  I didn't have the camera with me at the time.  Google found me a suitable number for my 450D though :D

James

Thanks for your help. The drivers will not load even off the original disc I got with the camera, and on canons website they only seem to have upgrades of their programs. I cannot find their drivers. In my device manager it says there is no drivers for this camera installed. I let windows try to find one but it says none found. On my pc which is 32 bit everything works fine although I have to let windows 7 use settings for xp operating system. This though does not work on my laptop which is an HP pavillion . I am stuck on this one....?

I've definitely downloaded the entire software suite from the Canon site before now.  I couldn't be bothered to install what originally came with my 450D just to do an upgrade.  That would be a major pain in the backside.  I'd have to find the CD for a start.

James

There are many versions of Canon Utility/Remote Cature, depending on your camera and your OS.

If you go to the Canon USA site there is a lot of choice.

Go to Consumer Products and enter your camera (Rebel XT) and your OS (win 7 64bit)

You will find there is no software for your camera for any version of Win7.

However there are 18 items for XP 32bit, but none for 64bit.

The most recent version of EOS Utility shown for XP 32bit is 2.7.3, but it is only an updater.

So you have to load any bit of software off your CD in XP compatability mode and then you can load any updater.

Or google for the registry tweak to allow Canon updaters to install

Or download EOS Capture 1.5 for Windows, which appears to be a full program, and then update to Utility 2.7.3.

If this doesn't work you have a very good excuse to buy a newer camera!

Michael

If I go here: http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_450D.aspx?type=download&language=&os=Windows%207%20(x64)

that looks like win7 64-bit.  Item 3 in the list I see is "EOS Digital Solution Disk Software 29.1A for Windows (For users who cannot use the bundled CD)" which should do the job.  Looks like the direct link to the download page is probably http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_450D.aspx?type=download&softwaredetailid=tcm:14-1203473&os=Windows%207%20(x64)&language=

James

Thanks again, here is an update. I have been to the US website and let it detect my OS (windows 7 64 bit ) I then chose my camera (350D) and it says there is no 64 bit drivers for your camera. I have a feeling that my camera is to old and canon cant be bothered for the few people who may need a driver. I have just sent canon europe an e-mail to ask if there is out I can do about it. I have found on the tinternet a virtual xp application that you can install but it sort of defeats the object in my view, a step backwards..I think I may take Michaels advice and look to buying a newer camera. I have seen a 550D I like so I will check if that will run on 764 bit...Many thanks again for all your help.....Geoff

Hmmm.  Hunting further it does appear that there is no 64-bit support for DIGIC-II cameras, though I can find rumours that there were drivers for 64-bit Vista that might work.  Unfortunately they don't seem to be available for download either.  The only suggestion I can find is to install "XP Mode" and use the 32-bit driver in that.  I'm not sure all versions of win7 can use it though.

James

Just thought I would let you know I have recieved an e-mail from canon to say that the 350D is not supported in windows 7 64 bit. You can change the setting on the camera from pc to ptp which enables you to download photos via the microsoft software but this is of no help to me as I wanted to use canon remote capture with my camera telescope set up. Never mind, will just have to get another camera....Regards....Geoff

Archived