NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SWSP...

estwing

dob was set up nice and early on friday night and the clouds started to scatter around 8pm....the lack of twinkle from horizon to zenith was the making of a night to remember.This was the first real run with the moonshane in dark sky for more than a couple of hours, this session went on till 420am!..M13 was first up super in the 13E but was amazing powermated giving x314 sparkling away you cannot get bored of globs when power is cranked up. As danny hadnt got his scope i was letting him drive and thought it only fair to let him find the faint stuff!!...M74 was next and i know how hard this one is to bag but hang on a min there was spiral arms showing? going to show how good the conditions were.NGC 891 was sucked up next an object i had not seen before and the view was a cracker with the dark rift plain to see. M57 and the inner star hunt was on...and still no central star?..i wasnt going to spend to much time on this so quick hop to M27 and the outer structure was wonderful. midnight came and went the temp was now dropping but the sky was still crystal clear with no wind at all. The veil was getting a bash next and this is where the 21 Ethos gives you views to die for,simply jaw dropping detail through every part people were formed a queue for a gasp! and all the time it felt great letting people share the experience of this wonderful telescope built by Shane. Dew was forming on scopes but not on mine...Shane had cleverly positioned my secondary lower down in the UTA avioding an early bath, (none on the primary)...G1 was hunted again but alas not to be bagged tonight and anyway M42 is climbing through the trees. it was very much the same view i had as swampthing had with his, there really isnt that much difference between 18" and 20". I can't thank john nichol enough as this mirror is a stonking piece of glass and giving me breath-taking views.So folks with scopes get in your car next time its clear and drive, drive as far away from LP as you can because its one of the most rewarding drives you'll ever make.Calv.

Great report Calv - it sounds like a memorable night :smiley:

It's really good to see reports of the fantastic views that the Ethos eyepieces deliver as well. They are very expensive of course but they are quite possibly the ultimate partner for a large aperture scope under dark skies. I can completely understand people being sceptical about eyepieces that cost as much as some scopes but when things come together they really do deliver the sort of experiences we crave and remember :smiley:

Good to see the Astronomik fan base growing too !

John we had a it side by side inn steves 31nag against his lumicon OIII.the lumicon edged it but it was very close but the uhc is a bit of an all rounder.

Was that the Astronomik O-III v's the Lumicon O-III ?

I'd expect the Lumicon to be slightly more effective in large aperture scopes because of it's band pass spec. The Astronomik O-III is a little more "generous" which makes it more versatile with smaller apertures IMHO.

Both great filters though :smiley:

Was that the Astronomik O-III v's the Lumicon O-III ? I'd expect the Lumicon to be slightly more effective in large aperture scopes because of it's band pass spec. The Astronomik O-III is a little more "generous" which makes it more versatile with smaller apertures IMHO. Both great filters though :smiley:

TBH John it was closer than I expected. It just shows how good the Astronomik is. The Lumicon does pop it better but the Astronomik was no slouch. Pleasantly surprising.

It was my Lumicon O-III and Dan's Astronomik UHC

Sorry for the hijack Cal ;)

Archived