NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Perfect Setup?

Phillyo

Euromillions tonight. £111 Million Jackpot. So my question is this;

Say you won the biggy and money was no longer a limiting factor. What would you buy? Where would you live?

Which mount? Which scope(s)? Camera? Filters? Dome?...etc etc.

What would be your "Perfect Setup", and I'm thinking personally for DSO imaging but feel free to put anything you like imaging.

Phil

I would give up work, rent out my house, move abroad to warmer climes & darker skies.  Then I would run a small camp site within the garden of the house. Part of that ground would have an area dedicated to Astronomy (a shed with scopes in it & a decent collection of EP's & maps).  For everyone who wants to join in they could grab a dob from the shed & get looking. 

In fact that is my plan & I don't buy lottery tickets.  By the time i'm 50 I really hope to do this & I don't earn a ridiculous amount of money either !  

You don't need £111 million to get my perfect setup.  60,000 euros & my current house mortgage-free would do it.   I have already started saving and thinking this plan through seriously, in 15 years I hope to get out with as long as I have left,  stay healthy as temptation allows me, and meet anyone who wants to come and stop by for some camping in our garden.   

What Stuart said :grin:

It's amazing how much your mind can wander when you start to dream.  My wife actually said she'd pay for a seat for me on Virgin Galactic, whether she is just trying to get rid of me I'm too scared to ask :grin:

One thing; with plenty of money you could dispense with the hassle of ultra fast optics, which really are a hassle, and just get there in imaging terms with several nicer, simpler, slower systems working together. And that slave to do all the preprocessing, of course! 

Olly

I would get a remote wasp or two  with every imaging filter including exotics, buy a plot in atacama, set the script running and process the mountains of data uploaded via satelite link.

Probably using a lot of 12 inch RC's to get in close with huge big pixel chips.

Again it would pobably need a local tech too.

Archived