Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

LUNT 60MM unboxing......

Solar_observer

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok let's begin. Clouds rolled in now so first light over :(

Conditions......a milky blue sky, as we all know this will really damage the detail in the image.

One other MAJOR factor, I was viewing through a window. The sun doesn't reach the back garden till around 5 pm and really not suitable to view from the front.

So all in all taken ALL into account, it's NOT the best conditions by a long chalk.

Eyepiece used the lunt zoom, the same I was using in the lunt 35mm.

Took me a while to figure out how far too pull the diagonal out and focuser too achieve rough focus but finally got there. Set the zoom to its lowest and focused finely..............OMG

DONT FORGET my viewing conditions.

The Suns limb was as sharp as a knife, the surrounding space was as black as hell. I started to tilt the tuner too bring out the detail and eventually settled on a certain position, when everything came into view............WOW.......OMG.........

Start with the proms.......STUNNING, there seems to be so much more substance in the structure compared too the 35mm. The is a prom at around the 4oclock position which must be extended at least 250,000 miles above the surface and it's so thin. I'm almost positive I would not have seen this in the 35mm due too the smaller aperture.

The spicules around the limb are more apparent and defined in this scope too, compared too the 35mm.

Now the surface detail (which is why I wanted a bigger scope)

Is there much difference between the 35mm and the 60mm...........a resounding YES.

The filaments are much darker (when correctly tuned), the granulation and it's structure stands out MUCH MORE. The tiny thin ARFs above areas of plague

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Continued from above........

Are well defined and more visible. What did surprise me was the spots, the umbra stands out just a tad more but it's the penumbra. Ok I know they don't show up like in white light with all the detail but with this size scope you can see them definitely, I could NOT make them out in the 35mm. Another thing what struck me compared to the 35mm was that the image in the 60mm is quite a bit darker (can someone explain this?) don't get me wrong it doesn't spoil the image, it might enhance things if any.

As I said the overall difference is amazing and too think of my viewing are not the best and also indoors, excites me even more.

Am I glad I payed the extra £400 for this scope.......yes.......yes ....OH YES

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Archived