Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Witch's Broom at near full moon DSLR shot

Owmuchonomy

I must be mad as it was nearly full moon but I wanted to get the Western Veil after going East earlier this month.  So in between diagnosing mount issues i took 10 subs on my modded 60D. So much background interference but here is the result. I need to learn to control the stars so I'll work on that at some point.

For some reason I am struggling with DSS all of a sudden.  I've used it successfully for a year.  The last three stacks I've run produce a 'liquify' type result on 30% of the frame.  The work-around is to leave out my flats, stack once, do a master flat, re-stack and hey it works. Weird! Can't get a reason from this forum so I'm asking again if anyone knows why?

post-35542-0-09838400-1413193807_thumb.j

You must be happy with that result surely :) And at full moon...

I don't use DSS so can't offer any suggestions but it isn't uncommon to have a system that works well for ages that suddenly stops :(

James

Thanks James.  Yes, this obsession does tax my limited technical ability sometimes but then I need mental stimulation to remain coherent.  I'm quite happy with the shot but I'll take another when its a dark sky I think and see if I can improve it.

Very nice, how long did you expose?

Sorry, I should know better to include the data:

10x 600 seconds lights

5x 600 seconds darks

Flats and Bias

Canon 60D modded

Altair Astro F7 102 EDT APO

SW HEQ5 Pro 

77mm AA finder guider

PHD 2.3.1 guided (very buggy version)

DSS, GXT and Photoshop stretch on iMAC

Archived