Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

bins to tripod adapter...

Spiderduck

I received a plastic one with some bins. Useless 'as is' but easy to fix if they are the common type with an I beam section. Just find some thin rods of steel, like small bolts, and lie them in the hollow sections of the plastic beam then fill the hollows with epoxy resin like Araldite.  Ferro-reinfoced plastic.  :grin:  This grotty-looking bodge has severed me well for over 12 years.

Olly

+1 for the one Daiwelly linked to. I have several adaptors, and that one is the best of the lot (I've not tried a Farsight, which is apparently excellent, but has a price to match)

The plastic abomination is not entirely useless: you can turn it into a tripod adaptor as Olly suggested. However, I used mine as part of a demonstration of what to avoid, for which purposes it is ideal.

My binoculars have an all metal central bar and vertical sliding mount bar, but the quick release 'mount plate' is plastic. So far so good.

My question, is this plate really called a 'mount plate' and are they of a standard foot print? I need to buy a second plate from somewhere as currently I'm swapping between binoculars and DSLR.

It is square with chamfered edges, central screw and spring loaded plunger type dowel, and click locks into the tripod head.

Another option is something a bit more heavy duty but very stable and you can fit a Red Dot Finder on it.

Ermmm, I would be delighted to be shown to be wrong, but I don't think the Farsight works with a bino with a central mounting bar. I am pretty sure it only works with binos that mount via a 1/4" Whitworth mounting bush in the hinge (as shown in the image in your link).

Ermmm, I would be delighted to be shown to be wrong, but I don't think the Farsight works with a bino with a central mounting bar. I am pretty sure it only works with binos that mount via a 1/4" Whitworth mounting bush in the hinge (as shown in the image in your link).

Spiderduck does not mention type or size of binoculars. Unless it's a large binocular with a central mounting bar, then it will be suitable.

Spiderduck does not mention type or size of binoculars.

Ah, from the "thread context" (& the fact that the Farsight had already been mentioned in response to Spiderduck) I wrongly assumed you were joining in the "sideshow" between RichM63 and me. Sorry.

Archived