Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomy log book - what do you use

Fish

Now I have a nice comfortable observatory I want to start a log book. I have been looking on the net for info and at the moment I'm thinking of a large spiral bound note book and print out drawing circles to stick in when needed.

What do you use ? Any advice please.

Thought I would share this link, probably been posted here loads but it is the first time I have seen it and it has so much info and free stuff.

http://www.astronomylogs.com/index.html

I have given up trying tbh. I just prefer to keep revisiting things over and again, that way my own memory builds up a composite picture of what I have seen and when etc.

When i have a great session I simply come on here and do a review, those are my only written records of what I have done. ( I very occasionally make a few scribbles on a viewing list but nothing more and not often).

Mine own approach is a mix between Bomberbaz and Shane :p . I use A4, 110g, spiral bound pads I pick up at the local cheap store for a couple of €s. These are handy 'cos I can draw two CD circles on each page and when out observing can sketch one or two objects. I don't usually do more for the sketching process is quite exhausting and time consuming. Obviously, in a given night many more wonders of nature are observed but these will not be recorded, neither in sketch or written form. Instead, they are submitted to memory, soon to be forgotten and when and if I return, become once again a new Wow moment :grin:

I keep a small A5 record of what I have taken, how successful the session was , what the weather was like etc. My main record is an Excel spread sheet where I record the date, item imaged, camera, scope, camera settings and any comment on the quality of the processed image - ranging from rubbish, hopeless, to absolutely amazing !!!

As its a spread sheet I have set up hyperlinks on the image name to link to the best image I've processed on a particular date - I find this really useful - and quite inspiring at times - when I look at the good images !  I also have two excel charts which show the number of days imaged in a particular month in a particular year and the total days imaged in a month for all years. 

Don

I have given up trying tbh. I just prefer to keep revisiting things over and again, that way my own memory builds up a composite picture of what I have seen and when etc.

When i have a great session I simply come on here and do a review, those are my only written records of what I have done. ( I very occasionally make a few scribbles on a viewing list but nothing more and not often).

I tend to follow this method except that I have just started the Lunar 100 and obviously make a note as I observe the various items. I must say having started this it makes viewing our near neighbour far more interesting.

I have a mirror moon map and it has 280 craters, mares etc to catalogue. However It is no use for my dob as I get confuddled as it is the wrong way up. However whn my frac arrives I intend starting on this and for this I will make a note even if its only "found it"  :grin:

I have a mirror moon map and it has 280 craters, mares etc to catalogue. However It is no use for my dob as I get confuddled as it is the wrong way up. However whn my frac arrives I intend starting on this and for this I will make a note even if its only "found it"  :grin:

If you download Virtual Moon you can flip it any way you wish.

Archived