Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

QHY5 drivers

goldblade1983

Hi

Just received QHY5 camera

No leads and no drivers

I have bought a USB2 cable.

Had a look at driver options - very very confused.

There seems to be references to lots of different drivers, .exe files. rar files etc. etc.

I've tried installing certain drivers etc, plugging in camera to be told that it hasn't been recognised.  Does anyone have a step by step guide to getting the camera to work (i'm running XP). Also links to the relevant drivers as want to make sure i have the right ones.  PS I've downloaded and installed ASCOM 6.1 and PHD software.

Many thanks

Brian

PS why oh why does EVERYTHING with astronomy have to be so complicated and not straight forward! ;-)

Hi Brian

Did you buy it second hand? The qhy cameras normally come with usb lead, and cd with software. Are you going to use it as a guide cam? I assume as you have phd and ascom, you'll be guiding with it.

The drivers are on the qhyccd page: http://qhyccd.com/en/top/download/ under qhy5 (not to be confused with qhy5v, qhy5t or qhy5l-ii !!)

There are 2 drivers of usual interest - 1) the native driver and 2) the ascom driver (qhy5ascom-v40.zip). The native one appears to require installation followed by download and installation of a separate update. It also looks like it might be a 64bit driver - just judging by it's name. Strange. Anyway, it's maybe better to just stick with the ascom driver if you're only using it as a guide cam.

Both drivers are zip files. Just click on the associated links and select 'open' in your browser.

The ascom one, at least, should run under XP ok (with the ascom platform installed first - plus you also need Microsoft .NET Framework as a pre-requisite.

Oh, I got this from the ascom page - note the .net framework instructions:

"Installing the ASCOM Platform on Windows XP

Many of us use Windows XP in the observatory because of its simplicity and stability. The ASCOM Platform depends on Microsoft technology that is included in Windows 7 but was not included in Windows XP. This has caused confusion because the ASCOM Platform installer asks for Microsoft .NET Framework x.x, and Microsoft has made things confusing for "normal people" in their version control scheme. To make a long story short, here's what you need to do before installing the ASCOM Platform on WIndows XP:

1. Ensure you have Windows XP Service Pack 3 installed. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389
  2. Install ONLY the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. This includes everything you need for the ASCOM Platform. See http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=22
  3. Run WIndows Update and make sure you are up to date
  4. Now install the ASCOM Platform. You should not apply any compatibility settings, neither before nor after installation.

For more details on installing the ASCOM Platform, please see Tim Long's blog post The Definitive Guide to Installing ASCOM Platform 6.0 Service Pack 1."

Well, nothing much in astrophotography is straightforward...

Hope that helps

Louise

Hi Brian

Did you buy it second hand? The qhy cameras normally come with usb lead, and cd with software. Are you going to use it as a guide cam? I assume as you have phd and ascom, you'll be guiding with it.

The drivers are on the qhyccd page: http://qhyccd.com/en/top/download/ under qhy5 (not to be confused with qhy5v, qhy5t or qhy5l-ii !!)

There are 2 drivers of usual interest - 1) the native driver and 2) the ascom driver (qhy5ascom-v40.zip). The native one appears to require installation followed by download and installation of a separate update. It also looks like it might be a 64bit driver - just judging by it's name. Strange. Anyway, it's maybe better to just stick with the ascom driver if you're only using it as a guide cam.

Both drivers are zip files. Just click on the associated links and select 'open' in your browser.

The ascom one, at least, should run under XP ok (with the ascom platform installed first - plus you also need Microsoft .NET Framework as a pre-requisite.

Oh, I got this from the ascom page - note the .net framework instructions: "Installing the ASCOM Platform on Windows XP

Many of us use Windows XP in the observatory because of its simplicity and stability. The ASCOM Platform depends on Microsoft technology that is included in Windows 7 but was not included in Windows XP. This has caused confusion because the ASCOM Platform installer asks for Microsoft .NET Framework x.x, and Microsoft has made things confusing for "normal people" in their version control scheme. To make a long story short, here's what you need to do before installing the ASCOM Platform on WIndows XP:

For more details on installing the ASCOM Platform, please see Tim Long's blog post The Definitive Guide to Installing ASCOM Platform 6.0 Service Pack 1."

Well, nothing much in astrophotography is straightforward...

Hope that helps

Louise

What a great reply !

This is what makes this forum so fantastic

I already have network 4 installed do you think that is why is not working. The 6.1 ascom platform seemed to require it

Hiya

FWIW I have .NET Framework v4 and Ascom runs fine (with Win 7). You needed to have the Ascom platform installed before installing the qhy5 ascom driver, I think. Which driver(s) have you downloaded/installed?

If you have EZPlanetary I think that should run with qhy5 native driver independent of ascom so you could use that to confirm the camera is working. EZPlanetary is free to download from qhyccd.

Louise

I've installed the drivers and the update

FInally getting somewhere - turns out the original problem was the 5 metre usb lead i was using. I switched to my printer cable (1.5 metre) and hey presto it installed the drivers.

Now I am still having difficulty.

If I use it with the QG Video software through my telescope during the day pointed at terristrial object the screen will go from white to black as a gradient depending on how much light gonig through - so something is working.  But sHould I not be able to see a B&W image through the telescope during the day?

If I use it with PHD plugged into my telescope with the cover on (i.e. no light getting to sensor)  I get loads and loads of horizontal lines on the screen - I thought it would be a black screen? It's sorta like an old analogue tv without signal.

Bear in mind I am a complete novice at guiding and so I might be doing something really stupid here.

Is there something I am missing or is it likely the drivers aren't right?

Cheers

Brian

qg video is not that good .with phd there is a slider in the middle of the screen just move it to the right the lines should disappear and also press take  darks and follow the instructions 

My QHY5 camera makes lot of lines too, have you taken any darks with the camera? (with no light that can hits the sensor). I could make the lines disappear, a good suggestion is also to install the ASCOM driver for the QHY5 camera if you haven't done that already.

Try to take the dark frames in PHD when just before when you are going to start to guide. When the guide camera has cooled down as the rest of your scope before you start to imaging.

Btw, if the black lines continues to apper on the screen. Try a different usb-cable, a not to long with a high frequency filter, like this cable. Try also to change the USB-ports on your computer.

eg0746-1-usb-printer-cable.jpg

Good to hear! But 4 minutes exposure is not much, with my sensitive Nikon D600 mounted on a 8" f/4 newtonian I can easily take 7 minutes (and even longer then that) exposures at ISO1600 without filling the pixels with light pollution. Maybe you need a CLS filter or something like that? Narrowband filter with a monocrome CCD or similar?

Archived