Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dropped metal bracket on mirror!

A few days ago i had a scare. Washed my 12in flextube dob mirror in baader wonder fluid only to find its not supposed to be used on mirrors, only lenses. Was told it can eat the coating. The scope view looks so good, as good as the day i got it, so skywatcher must use a very hard coating.

Today i got greedy and decided ill try to mount my TS80mm APO as a finder onto the dob (again). Anyway i unscrewed the skywatcher finder scope bracket and to my shock a reinforcing metal plate 8x8cm long dropped off, fell 80cm and landed edge on clean right into the mirror! The noise was so loud i feared the worse!

But on inspection with my phones torch... Nothing.... Not a scratch! (At least as far as i can see. And tonight, the view is great! Unbelievable.

I got very lucky a second time this week :p

And yes i removed the APO. It was far too heavy.... I never learn... Ill most likely make the same mistake next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bet it didn't go 'ping!' :shocked:

...I bet you said a few words. :icon_redface: I know I did when I dropped my ETX105 several years ago. :cussing: I damaged the plastic rear cell assembly. :Envy:

Apologies 'Pingster' - I  was unable to resist it. :icon_clown:  

Haha. Dont worry guys. We all have our equipment scares and its good when we are lucky to giggle it off xD. It was a bit more clang than "Ping", maybe even a bit "[removed word]" before the "clang" hahahaha.

I was actually really calm for some reason! I think ive learned with experience it takes a lot to actually effect the visual properties of a good mirror. They are just not as fragile as we fear. So far ive cleaned this mirror 4 times in 2 years and it lives next to my tumble dryer that fills the shed it heat, moisture and cleaning fumes... Yet i consistently get awesome views. Very happy.

Or maybe because i was looking for an excuse to replace with it the flash new boy on the block, ES 14in ultralight. :p.

Lucky escape!

I'm too have cleaned my 12" mirror with baader fluid to no detrimental effect, but I have to admit I won't do it againn- just in case.

Mirrors are a lot tougher than we give them credit for, they survive massive temp changes, dust, acid attack from pollution soaked dew, mildew and other growing organisms, and seem to escape Scott free for years....

Worst case scenario and your do put a scratch big enough to cause visual artifacts, you get a permanent black marker out and cover it.

Lucky escape!

I'm too have cleaned my 12" mirror with baader fluid to no detrimental effect, but I have to admit I won't do it againn- just in case.

Mirrors are a lot tougher than we give them credit for, they survive massive temp changes, dust, acid attack from pollution soaked dew, mildew and other growing organisms, and seem to escape Scott free for years....

Worst case scenario and your do put a scratch big enough to cause visual artifacts, you get a permanent black marker out and cover it.

Exactly. Does the presence of a huge secondary mirror right in the middle of you light path ruin your views?

Olly

.............separating the OTA and laying it flat would prevent  any screw, mount, or secondary mirror  from  falling onto /striking the primary mirror, and I know its too late after the horse has bolted to shut the gate,  but were often reminded to work carefully, horizontally, but accidents do happen.  I great reminder and  warning to others intent on carrying out any modifications. 

Glad the mirrors ok though. If it did break, what would you have done, new mirror vs. new scope?

Having just had my 200mm F/4 Newt re-mirrored, I managed to drop a collimation on to it. After tearing out my hair, I took a good look at it: Not a scratch.

Most outfits these days apply a protective coating to protect telescope mirrors from such things as a minor impact, polluted air, coatings being disintegrated easily, etc. Yes - they are tougher than we think. But this is no reason to adopt a cavalier attitude towards them.

Off to tempt fate again. For my next act: Affixing a Center-Spot to it.....

C*R*A*S*H!

Dave

Dave, wowers! A collominator would be one of my worse fears! They are so dam heavy and pointy. The worst would be dropping a 32 nagler, cos both items would be mangled. Like dropping a bomb on your mirror.

Andy, Hahaha. Thats actually funny and very scary at the same time. Nothing worse than kids in the family asking for a look, you resist but let them and they stick their tongue into the lens, rub their shirt to clean the lens... That's the worse you can subject your scope to ... Kids.

Archived