Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Widefield Milkyway 1st attempt with 1000d Sept 21st.

Space Cowboy

Planets being thin on the ground at the moment I've decided to "diversify" and got myself a 2nd hand Canon 1000d off ebay which i've mounted on my alt/az auto tracking mount.  I'm not sure if the tracking is any good with the camera as its set up for my 5" mak and obviously not an eq mount but figured any tracking is better than none.

This was taken from my light polluted back garden pointing north east 60-70 degrees alt after 10pm.

1 min exposure with 18-55mm lens set at 18. Not sure about the focus, really struggled to see on my laptop.

Below is a single shot and 3 in sequence showing the vignetting action.

Honest hard hitting comments welcome. Tweaked contrast in image analyser and pulled back red.

post-4016-0-84393800-1411384079_thumb.jp

post-4016-0-11343900-1411384123.gif

Here is another with less hazyness :

post-4016-0-60124200-1411384462_thumb.jp

Forgot to mention ISO was 1600.

What the heck here is the 3rd image too :

post-4016-0-94384000-1411384665_thumb.jp

That's pretty good, you've picked up Andromeda through the haze at lower right I believe.

I'm not sure you've quite nailed the focus. If you're finding it tricky on liveview APT has a focus aid although I haven't used it, I think it calculates and displays FWHM values. There is a little bit of coma but that's hard to avoid with the kit lens, stopping down to f4.5 or f5 reduces it if you haven't already tried that.

If you stack a few subs using 'intersection' mode in DSS you should get a pretty good result. The Cygnus region is a bit brighter and is overhead at the moment, but it's further from North so you'd get more field rotation on the alt-az mount.

Might be worth asking a mod to move the thread to the 'Getting Started With Imaging' forum, you might get more responses there. Good luck, definitely worth experimenting a bit more.

For this type of image I don't bother with Astro imaging packages I just use Photoshop as it seems to do a good job. Try using 'Tools>Photoshop>Load files Into Photoshop Layers' in Camera RAW then in PS 'Edit>Auto-Align Layers'. Once you have done this convert them all to smart objects and do a median stack. This will re-rotate your stars and combine all the three images into one.  There are many video tutorials in YouTube on how to to put these types of images together using PS.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Is this the first step on the ladder to your deep sky imaging voyage Stuart??   :smiley: 

It's great when there's not much planetary stuff to be done as you say and many of the processing techniques used for deep sky images are also very useful for planets as i'm sure you know. A very good start though. A decent LP filter would probably help quite a bit too.

Pete 

Cheers Pete! Tentatively stepping on the bottom rung lol  I was quite pleased with the detail despite the light pollution and did not realize at the time that there was some haze too. As you say a LP filter would help but I can get to darker sites easily.

You will know I'm getting serious when I acquire an eq mount but at the moment I'm gonna see what can be achieved from my current setup. I've seen some pretty decent images using alt/az.

Archived