Quality at high power

christhebrit

I've got a few eye pieces, no problems with any of them. I've never seen an object in good detail in my 4mm plössel other than pointing it at a terrestrial object. I've got a 4.5" reflector and 6" refractor. Do any nasties make their way through quality control or am I asking for too much?

4mm plossls are not really worth having. This is from experience of buying one.

From my experience a 5mm eyepiece is probably as small as you will get reasonable performance from but not in the plossl design, as an idea TV stop plossl's at 8mm. I am sure if the design could handle shorter without problems then they would have produced one.

Which 2 scope exactly have you?

That helps as a guide, especially as in general plossl's do not perform to well on fast scopes (TV seem the exception to this).

If you want a 5mm then it depends on budget, at the mid area are the TS NED'd (BST's) and the X-Cels, there will be others but these are the commonly available ones. There is a "BST" at 3.2mm, this might perform better then a plossl at 4mm. Just no guarantee.

My rule is that when the eyepiece is less then 5mm or the f number of the scope (whichever the larger) then expect performance to drop off. It works pretty well I find.

That's brilliant advice, although I'm just starting to be active on this site, I've been observing for months. I have a 4.5" 500mm Visionary reflector on an EQ2 and 6"1200mm Skywatcher refractor on a HEQ5. I have been looking at a 100 degree 9mm which now sounds better than the 4mm I've been trying so far.

The reflector at f/4.4 is going to be very difficult to get a high power eyepiece for, and I suspect a plossl in it will be difficult. At 4.4 you are looking at a good eyepiece and that costs significant amounts. The image presently likely suffers from coma as much as anything.

The refractor at f/7.8 should be a lot easier.

I tend to be happy with a 60-70 degree eyepiece, so have no urge to go for the 100 degree ones.

Some do some don't, I am in the latter camp.

Wonder if that would change if I ever looked through one?

I could possibly be talked into an ES82 but no real reason to change, the wide fields simply have no appeal.

One "small" aspect of short focal length eyepiece is that a small change can make a large difference.

A 6mm in your refractor is 200x, a 5mm in the same is 240x. A fair jump in magnifications.

For the refractor and if you wanted a lesser cost I would look at the X-Cel's. the 7mm and 9mm fit nicely either side of the f number. A 6mm may work OK, bit boarderline, but I suspect a 5mm will be too much.

Expect to end up spending more on eyepieces then on scopes, ratio is normally 3:1, as in your eyepiece collection will be 3x the cost of your scope collection.

+1 for the Delos they are great at everything.

Alternatively, if you want to view solar system objects and split doubles the vixen SLV's will be an excellent choice, 50 degree FOV, 20mm eye relief and a rubber twist up eyecup for comfort. Fantastic contrast too.

I remember reading a review involving an F5 scope and the poster didn't mention any issues :smiley: and at £109 they are a bit of steal

Last night. The only two Eyepieces I used were the 8mm Delos (x150) and the 6mm Vixen SLV (x200). The Delos is a step up in quality but at 40% of the price, the SLV is a cracking performer for the money. I may get the 5mm SLV at some stage, but won't be going any lower.

I was very happy with the view.

Paul

At the very high power end I use 3&4mm Radians and a 3.5mm Delos in between, all perform excellent but this high power in a fast reflector that Ronin mentioned is new to me and must be considered.

Don't forget in many cases in our hobby more is less power, I rarely go above X200 on say Jupiter even thought the scope can handle 3 time this power, it more often is the conditions that ruin things.

Alan

All great advice and although I know it comes down to the user in the end, this has been helpful indeed. It's just annoying being nowhere near any clubs where I can compare equipment first hand as I'm sure I'm not the only 1 with this problem.

I think I'm warming up to the Delos 8mm, then when my budget has recovered i may look into a higher power Radian.

I think I'm warming up to the Delos 8mm, then when my budget has recovered i may look into a higher power Radian.

Having used the 10mm Delos (x160),  8mm Delos (x200) & 6mm Radian (x266) I recommend them without reservation.  Once you try the 8mm Delos you may feel the urge towards 6mm Delos, however don't overlook the radians as they pop up now and then and offer very good value.  The Delos range in use are superb in every way for me.  As already stated It seems that x160 & x200 is where most of it happens, but when everything is playing ball above x200 for lunar is an experience not to be missed !   I did not have the opportunity to try before buying and never regret access to these eyepieces.  I would recommend the ~x250 as your last eyepiece. Its the 'icing on the cake'.  Grab your ~x160 & ~x200 first as they will get used lots.  I often swap back and forward between x160 & x200 many times in all sessions as targets change and conditions allow for better or worse viewing.  No eyesight improves with time and the eye relief offered is kind of an investment to me.   Friends/beginners who would normally struggle with my plossls are able to appreciate the views through the big Delos lens (ITS HUGE) :)  I really like it when someone who has not looked through a scope before can walk up to the eyepiece and without a problem see straight in.  Its a pleasure to see. 

Archived