Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WOOOHOOO!!! I'M OFF!!

Andrew*

342 new topics I've started on this forum and this is my very first in the Deep Sky section! :D So go easy on my, yeah?

Got everything together tonight, and you simply can't imagine my delight when I saw what was on the screen after just a 30 second exposure!! :shock: :lol:

I'm no doubt going to reprocess this a few times, but it's a composite of just 10x30 for the outer bits and 10x5 to get the core.

scope: 8" newt with 0.5x reducer, IR block and CLS filter

camera: Atik 1-HS

processed: registax (I'll do the next process in DSS)

composite: Photoshop

4196_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Now funnily enough, I was in danger of overexposing even the outer areas of this photo with 60 second exposures. I thought I would need much more time than this... Have I got my settings wrong...?

Andrew

I am not about to comment other that to say that's one hell of start to your deep sky career Andrew.

B***** H**l, I bet you were ecstatic when that lot hit your lappy screen.

Well done mate, I am sure you will be alongside the elite in no time flat.

Ron. :D

Congrats on your 1st post in the deep space section Andrew......

Not a bad start, focussing looks a little off but thats easily corrected.......Its trial and error when it comes to exp times, id say 30 second subs should do the job, just need more of them, as im always being told.......Then a few tweaks here and there and you will have a masterpiece in no time :D

Hope to see more images from you in the near future.....

Cheers

Mark

After a search on bloated stars, I found a post by Moondog, in which he discovered Dew on his lens was the culprit, but, I am sure there are other reasons too. I would guess one of the experienced guys will come up with an answer Andrew.

Ron.

Hello Andrew,

Firsty, well done, it's a thrill when that first dso comes in :hello1:

Dew. That doesn't give problems in the same way...you don't get rings around your stars that are so defined. Yours are. Rings from dew are like a fuzzy nebulousity.

Your rings are also displaced in the same direction.

To me it looks kike you have a reflection from your filter, and your filter(s) are not at 90 degrees to your imaging plane, probably caused by sag from the weight of the camera.

I had this problem until I got a whole new set of adapters and started to use a set of molegrips to make sure everything was as tight as possible!

Cheers

Rob

Hi andrew,

great start as to the star bloat i started a thread not to long ago asking the same question about my meade dsi.

final conclusion buy people in the know was the focus wasnt correct they suggested using a hartman mask hope this helps.

regards chris

Thanks for the comments everyone. Just had a thought - I should have this problem with my M1 image, but I don't. It must just be a problem with the brighter stars for some reason...

Anyway, here's a re-process of the composite - you can still see the join, and totally unsure if it's an improvement anyway :?

4200_normal.jpeg

2nd attempt

4196_normal.jpeg

1st attempt

Shattered now and going to bed, but pleased with a good night's work! :D

Andrew

Now funnily enough, I was in danger of overexposing even the outer areas of this photo with 60 second exposures. I thought I would need much more time than this... Have I got my settings wrong...?

Andrew

The settings could be OK, after all you're working at f/2.5 with the FR in place, so you're getting lots of light quickly. That's the nice thing about imaging with a fast system, its , er, fast!

The image looks like its very slightly off on the focus (hint - focus on a bright star near where your target is then slew to the target, you can focus with short exposures that way saving time) but I think the compositing has maybe mucked the image up as well. Can you post a single sub?

Congratulations on your first DSO as well.

Kaptain Klevtsov

From the man himself :notworthy: Thank you!! :D

Andrew

The image looks like its very slightly off on the focus (hint - focus on a bright star near where your target is then slew to the target, you can focus with short exposures that way saving time) but I think the compositing has maybe mucked the image up as well. Can you post a single sub?

Will do. That's pretty much how I got focus. There was enough detail even from 1/25th second frames to get focus, so that wasn't the problem. I guess focusing at f/2.5 is never going to be easy peasy...

Your rings are also displaced in the same direction.

To me it looks kike you have a reflection from your filter, and your filter(s) are not at 90 degrees to your imaging plane, probably caused by sag from the weight of the camera.

I think I've just seen the problem - I don't think the chip unit is sitting flush. I'll open it up and pop everything back in place. That, and a slightly mucky IR filter, is probably where the problem lies.

Thanks one and all for your highly valued comments - such a huge relief to be getting these results finally :lol:

Andrew

Archived