Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ci 700 Mount, been offered one but no clue about them?

Chris

Hi folks, I've been advertising my Skymax 150 either for sale or trade for an heavier duty mount than my current EQ3 Pro. A chap responded to the ad wanting to do a swap with cash adjustment his way for a Ci700 mount. My scope aside he's looking for 800 quid for the mount. He said its Celestrons version of the G11 which is another mount I know very little about, but he says its in good condition with just paint chips.

1) is it worth 800 quid?

2) he says it uses encoders, I'm a goto or manual guy, how do encoders work?

3) can you get parts or repairs for them if something goes pete tong?

4) are they any good in general??

Other than that has anyone any expereince with these mounts and can tell me more please :)

I'm by no means about to jump at the offer but its good to think out of the 'Synta mount' box, well at least I think it might be?

I'm looking for a havier duty mount to place on my pier in my obsy so I can install a bigger aperture scope like an SCT and a short frac, mainly for visual now days, but with the odd bit of DSO and planetary imaging here and there.

Thanks

Chris

They are the older version of the CGE and that's bout all i know. I do have a CGE, its a good mount but there is some noise in the gears somewhere that cause a roughness in the guiding of about 1.5-2 arcsec and they don't like too much weight it seems. Not sure if the ci700 uses the same motors that seem to cause this problem.

My Tak NJP guiding is ALOT more smooth.

I considered a Ci 700 for my 6" F/12 refractor at one point. It seemed over complex for my needs plus all the external wires etc were a little off putting. I went for an older EQ6 on a massive tripod in the end which worked out at less than half the price. If you need the features though a used Ci 700 is probably the lowest cost way to get into that class of mount.

If you sit tight you will probably get a CGE for about the same with Goto, I like my CGE its a good mount, just limited my not goign over the meridian.

I have decided to upgrade though as I want a couple of hours over the meridan without the need to flip.

Hi, that mount was owned by me for two years, the mods you see on it were done by me, it is a good mount with a recorded Pe of about 14arc sec, ideal for someone who needs capacity without the GOTO of later mounts.

Yes the wiring is a pain at times but the encoders work quite well and can easily find objects.

Generally more suited to visual use, it is an excellent sturdy mount.

Very popular in the states, alas support for it is dwindling.

Ray

It's more like a G11 than a CGE, really.  It's a Celestron-rebadged G11 and most/all the G11 parts will fit.

These sell for around $1000 in the US. Sometimss even less. But does this one come with that heavy tripod?

If it has working encoders and a DSC computer, I guess one could live with the lack of GoTo.

Hi Chris,

Rod mollise's 'Used SCT' guide has a section on the Ci700 which may help. Apparently Losmandy still sell upgrades for the Ci700 which may include Gemini Goto, but it's more expense......

http://skywatch.brainiac.com/used/used_sct.pdf

Glad to see you building up you arsenal of equipment again. :)

HTH

Rob

Thanks Rob, what a comprehensive guide! I recognise it in fact, I think I once endeavored to read it cover to cover, not sure I finished it it's that big! :D

I found the section on the ci700 and they are indeed celestron version of the g11 but with bronze gears instead of Ali but with half the teeth. They were made to be packaged with the c11 and c14, and we're discontinued in 2003.

I looked into the Gemini upgrade and it 1600 dollars plus shipping so for the total price once work done you could buy a eq8 or cem60 which is what the guy selling is after.

I'm not sure it's worth 800 quid now days with what's available now days for less money. The eq6 can hold 25kg and they are around 650 quid second hand and have goto.

Chris

Hi, that mount was owned by me for two years, the mods you see on it were done by me, it is a good mount with a recorded Pe of about 14arc sec, ideal for someone who needs capacity without the GOTO of later mounts.

Yes the wiring is a pain at times but the encoders work quite well and can easily find objects.

Generally more suited to visual use, it is an excellent sturdy mount.

Very popular in the states, alas support for it is dwindling.

Ray

Wow didn't expect to bump into the previous owner! Well done on all the mods for it, you are obviously much better at electronics than myself. I'm concerned about all the weak connectors on these mounts, given more thought I think I could do with something more reliable and with support. Very cool looking mount though, it has a proper retro industrial look about it!

It's more like a G11 than a CGE, really.  It's a Celestron-rebadged G11 and most/all the G11 parts will fit.

These sell for around $1000 in the US. Sometimss even less. But does this one come with that heavy tripod?

If it has working encoders and a DSC computer, I guess one could live with the lack of GoTo.

Hi thanks, yes it does come with the tripod but I'm after a mount for my obsy pier so it wouldn't be a deal breaker. 1000 dollars would be around 700 pounds at a guess. Not sure about this encoder stuff when I'm so used to either finding stuff manually or even better goto.

Thanks for everyone's input:-) I think I'm going to decline the chaps offer, it's not for me considering what else is available at the moment ie An heq5 syntrek for 400 quid, and several eq6 ranging from 600 to 759 pounds. I'm also looking at the advanced vx mount from FLO, I'm quite keen on the c8 edge HD and if bought with this mount it saves several hundred pounds, it is a big wod of cash though so might stick to a cheaper c8 and try and live with of the off axis performance.

Archived