skywatcher150p reviews

Hi all , am interested in the Sw 150p can any one advise me about the difference between 150 pds scope to the above . First light optics site say the 150 p is ok for planets and star gazing any owners out there , your opinions will be very appreciated Thanks Rob.

Welcome to SGL if you haven't already been welcomed!

The PDS has a shorter tube and a dual speed focuser which is better for Astrophotography..and its £200 dearer!!..if that's the rout you want to go down the fair enough but if you are spending £734 on a scope and you don't really want to go down the astrophotography route (cos it costs lots of ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££) then you can get bigger and better scopes for the money. Im sure more wiser people on this can advise better but you could get the 200p GOTO for a few pounds cheaper or for a few pounds more a Celestron Nexstar 6se.....that's the problem with this hobby..the choice is bleedin' endless! 

Have fun with whatever you choose and keep us all posted with your purchase :headbang:

As above but from the number of posts i  have seen the temptation to attach a DSLR to the scope is quite large so think carefully the std one wont work.

Alan

P.S. I just had a look at aunty flo and the difference in price between the OTA`s is around £50

See sig. I gather that the pds version has a more sensitive 1:10 focuser, bigger secondary and shorter tube than the p.

I love my 150P, it is great for general observing, hunting DSOs, planetary work and pretty much stays in collimation.

It can be used as an almost grab and go telescope with the NEQ3-2 mount and tripod not requiring stripping down to take outside and yet remains reasonably stable.

The NEQ3-2 mount works fairly well with the optional motor drives and the slow motion hand controls are miles easier to use than the tiny knobs on the EQ5. To the point where I used to move them over to the EQ5 when I still had a manual option.

The 6x30 finder scope is adequate, but would benefit from an upgrade to RACI, RD or even a larger 9x50.

The supplied 10mm and 25mm EPs are again adequate for getting started, but the 10mm is a little too basic.

Am I happy with my 150P, YES, would I buy it again, CERTAINLY! :)

Remember this is not meant to be a dedicated imaging telescope, but a visual telescope with imaging capabilities.

A polar scope and Cheshire EP would be a good addition to any purchase order.

hth,

Rich

Using a 150PDS on NEQ-6 for imaging and visual. Nice little scope. Collimation is easy, much bang for the buck. Check my gallery for some samples  of imaging.

Only problem I've ever had is that the focuser doesnt have enough inward play for an eyepiece projection adapter to reach focus, but since I mainly focus on prime focus photography it's not really an issue.

Would recommend this as either a small visual scope, or a hybrid visual/photography.

For pure AP I would recommend a refractor.

Welcome to SGL if you haven't already been welcomed!

The PDS has a shorter tube and a dual speed focuser which is better for Astrophotography..and its £200 dearer!!..if that's the rout you want to go down the fair enough but if you are spending £734 on a scope and you don't really want to go down the astrophotography route (cos it costs lots of ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££) then you can get bigger and better scopes for the money. Im sure more wiser people on this can advise better but you could get the 200p GOTO for a few pounds cheaper or for a few pounds more a Celestron Nexstar 6se.....that's the problem with this hobby..the choice is bleedin' endless! 

Have fun with whatever you choose and keep us all posted with your purchase :headbang:

I'm not sure where you got that price from. The OTA costs £234. The telescope + EQ5 Pro mount is £734 and is also available on cheaper mounts.

Hi everyone , thank you for all the invaluable information gleened also the link review for the 150 p.

The way it looks is very favourable for my next move from the 130 non parabolic Sw , one quick question

Though if I went down the Ota route will my eq2 mount be suitable , or should I need to go for the whole set up with new mount? . The tripod looks the same as mine , so hoping I could use the same . Hope that makes sense Cheers Rob.

As above but from the number of posts i  have seen the temptation to attach a DSLR to the scope is quite large so think carefully the std one wont work.

Alan

P.S. I just had a look at aunty flo and the difference in price between the OTA`s is around £50

My Canon DSLR attaches very well to the standard 150p and reaches prime focus with about six or seven mm of further inward movement available.

Thanks Peter, looks like the whole nine yards then . Thought it might be pushing it a bit I do like my scope just wish that it had parabolics not spherical dont suppose its possible to upgrade the mirrors ? Next time research more thoroughly RTFM (flippin) manual.

regards Rob

Archived