Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

can anything match SKYWATCH SKYMAX 127

I bought an Orion Optics 140mm a few years ago to replace a Vixen 102mm achromatic refractor. The first time I used the Mak I realised it was in a completely different league from the Vixen, showing a lot more detail on every kind of object. I think Maks get an unfairly bad press because of their long cooling time (well over an hour with mine) and small field of view. But it's not that small - you'll get beautiful views of compact objects like the Ring and Crab nebs. Another good thing about them is that they're very small for what they can do. Mine lives happily in a Black and Decker 26inch toolbox with rom to spare - Hugh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all will the badder hyperions fit on a Mak127? Thought they were big? ken

If you are concerned about the "safety" issue - I was, buy a T2 threaded screw-on diagonal e.g. THIS ONE. :D

But the 35mm diameter optical path (more than canonical 1.25" diagonal) adds a useful amount to the potential TFoV (to 1.5 Deg with 31mm Hyp Aspheric) and allows all Hyperions to fit snugly and SOLIDLY via their 2" mode. :afro:

I have owned a Skymax 127 Mak, Celestron C5 and C6. The 127 Mak is a great little scope and there is not much to choose between it and the C5 SCT in performance. The two things that I didn't like about the 127 were that it took about twice as long as the C5 to cooldown and it didn't have an SCT threaded visual back so you had to stick with a 1.25" diagonal. The C5 has a standard visual back so any SCT accsessories will fit. I have heard that there is someone in the US that has come out with a visual back adaptor for the 127 though, no idea of price or availability.

The best however of the three without doubt is the Celestron C6, more expensive but still great value. Better contrast and planetary performance than a Skymax 150 (had the chance to compare both head to head). It's a scope where they got it just right and I think it's about the best comprimise around between perfomance, portability and price.

John

I have heard that there is someone in the US that has come out with a visual back adaptor for the 127 though, no idea of price or availability

I think, last time, Steve (FLO) found a T2 -> SCT adaptor. I'll add the LINK, if I remember (or if someone else knows?) :D

FWIW, although it is possible to fit a FULL 2" back to the MAK - and profit thereof, the somewhat smaller 35mm diagonal (above) is sufficient for upto e.g. 32mm / 70 Deg 2" eyepieces - Even a Pan 35. A 2" diagonal can be a tight squeeze on the back end of smaller MAKs and visually looks a bit... "overpowering"? But, in truth the "last few mm" of optical path are only ever used e.g. by 40mm / 70 deg eyepieces etc. And not a lot of folk use (can afford decent examples of) these? :afro:

WELL FOLKS I PLUMBED FOR THE 127 WITH THE AUTO MOUNT

QUICKLY VIEWED SATURN & THE MOON LAST NIGHT AND ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW SUPERB(SAW 4 SAT MOONS AND

SURE I GLIMPSED CASSINI DIV )

THANKYOU ALL FOR THE ADVICE ,AND FLO FOR SPEEDY SERVICE.

IT REALLY IS COMPACT AND USEABLE JUST WHAT I AM AFTER,ILL RUN IT FOR A FEW WEEKS THEN POST SOME QUESTIONS BUT ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP.

Does anyone have any examples of astrophotography done with a Skywatcher 127?

Just this: my first lunar pic taken with my Mak127. As for cooldown, just use low power until it settles- the boiling will only show really at medium to high powers. Very versatile scope, in my opinion.

4625_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Ant

Thanks for the good comments!

Nikon Coolpix 4300 digicamera, 32mm Plossl eyepiece, attached using AstroEngineering screw-on adapters. ISO 200, 1/60 sec exposure, f3.2. Image tweaked slightly (barely really...) in Photoshop Elements 2.0

The SupaTrak mount has really grown on me. I've got into the habit of setting it up accurately now, so tracking is great!

Ant

• 2 weeks later...

ok i have had this a few weeks and would like to just note in comparison to my 8inch do how

clear and accurate views of objects such as m44 beehive are :stars: :hello1: the stars are so small precise and crisp

on the negative however getting the alt mount to autotrak correctly is tricky any advise or notes on good practice for this mount would be gratefully accepted.

Archived