NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

30mm ES 82

jetstream

That EP is the spit of the Axiom Dude, again the only difference I can think of there will be that the Axiom is 31mm where as the Meade is 30mm

i havent had the pleasure of looking through Axiom as my planned trip to the chap with one was cancelled due to weather and later also due to work commitments and as such i am unable to comment on Axioms.However,i would think optically Axiom,Meade or ES will be on the same shelf and that 1mm will not make a huge difference.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have just dug out Meade's spec sheets for all their Series 5000 and it states 1360grams, so more than I thought. Their 40mm SWA is 1257grams and even the 24mm UWA tips the scales at 1kg, so a few fat boys. Something makes me think it is all a bit un-necessary as Televue have done it at 1kg so it make me wonder if it was the two market big boys of a few years back in contest to deliver a whopper, it looks like Celestron won.

Alan

I have to say that M45, the double cluster and Stock 2 through my 12" f4 and 40mm TV widefield last night was really lovely despite the 9mm exit pupil. 2 degree field in a 12" dob is nice :grin:  

in general though I agree that 5-6mm is about the max I prefer, unless at a really dark site.

I once saw the Pelican and NAN with a 6" f5 newt and 32mm TV plossl plus Oiii.

There is lots of big glass in these eyepieces and it's low dispersion stuff which can weigh more than some glass types. There is at least one lens element in the Nagler 31 that is over 3" in diameter. When you see the light path through these things you realise why they are bulky:

post-118-0-18730700-1408538953.gif

I have to say that M45, the double cluster and Stock 1 through my 12" f4 and 40mm TV widefield last night was really lovely despite the 9mm exit pupil. 2 degree field in a 12" dob is nice :grin:  

in general though I agree that 5-6mm is about the max I prefer, unless at a really dark site.

Very good point indeed shane, pupil dilation is I think not going to be 100% for most of us on most viewing occasions simply because most of us do not observe from a truly dark site. I have little idea what the actual dilation is from my back garden but I know for sure it isn't 100% simply because of the bright lights surrounding me. So airing on the side of caution has to be in this instance a better idea.

That said, my 42mm revalation gives me a 2 degree fov in my 12", so I know exactly where you are coming from mate. (although my exit pupil is only 8mm  :grin: )

Glad it worked out for you Gerry, sounds like it will work very well alongside the 21E. :)

What TFoV does the 30mm ES give you in your 10"? Is your scope 1200mm FL?

I've never seen the Pelican and just trying to figure out if I could squeeze it into my widest EP which is 0˚.94" in my 16".

Hi Mike,the TFOV with this EP is 2.05 deg in the 1200mm VX10.I must say that I have seen the Pelican before-or parts of it,catching edges and patches.This is the first time the object took on its full form,I was quite shocked actually.The 2 deg allowed for the dark lane between the NA neb and its other surrounding edges to contrast the actual "Pelican".

My 21E with its 1.7 deg TFOV and 4.375mm exit pupil does not show this object well,at least not so far-but I don't think its going to.No other EP I own gives the same great view of the NA neb and its companion.

Your increased aperture may be an equalizer Mike-I would keep the exit pupil high to try with your excellent OIII.

Sounds very good. I have spotted the Pelican and its shape with my little 80mm F/6, but it does require very dark skies, and a UHC filter to bring out the detail in smaller scopes.

This is what I was expecting too Michael,but the Pelican looked like a "splotch" in the 90mm and a bit better in the 120mm with a little more structure noted.I must say this though-the 2 refractors were operating at an exit pupil of 4.3mm and 4mmn with the 30mm EP and this is not optimum in the VX10 either on these big objects.

What surprised me is how I lost nebulosity in the 90mm at a higher exit pupil than the 120mm-not sure what this means.

I also have to say that the sky was dark,but the transparency was far from consistent-it never really got good,Cleardarksky said below avg and scattered cloud,but I had some large patches of better sky come through-though a far cry from the best skies at that site.

To make a better comparison a 42mm EP or so should be tried....but I don't have one

To get the best out of these fainter, extended objects I think it helps to get the exit pupil right. Whenever I've been tempted to try an oversize exit pupil to get that additional FoV my "reward" has been less contrasty views against a more washed out background sky.

When using large exit pupils I tend to be observing diffuse nebulae. Whack a line filter in and the sky background blackens right up. Contrast is hugely improved and out pops the nebula. :)

For large open clusters I use bins.

When using large exit pupils I tend to be observing diffuse nebulae. Whack a line filter in and the sky background blackens right up. Contrast is hugely improved and out pops the nebula. :)

For large open clusters I use bins.

Agreed Steve. Filters have optimum exit pupil ranges too of course.

With your big dob (F/4 I think ?) large exit pupils are going to be even more of an issue in longer FL eyepieces but with 20" of light gathering area I guess it's not quite so critical that it all gets through the iris.

I have been looking at the 31mm T5 and the ES 30mm 82 and to me the only difference in them is the 1mm focal lenegth. They look and weigh the same, see links below:

http://www.365astronomy.com/explore-scientific-82%C3%82%C2%B0-n2-eyepiece-30mm-2-p-3868.html

http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=21&Tab=EP_EN5-31.0#.U_RsVfldV20

Some of you may know I have been thinking of ditching the Axiom in favour of a lighter EP with a different eyecup and the ES30 is a strong contender. Thanks for the review, it has certainly helped me here,

steve/baz

NB: Gerry, have you ever used a Nirvana 28mm? If yes, how does it compare?

Hi Steve,I have not had the chance to use a Nirvana 28mm,but the 2 ES 82 EP's I have work well.The recessed eye lens is a little different,but this feature helps me in the cold weather....one wrong move with an Ethos and its frosted up and useless.I find the purged & then inert gas filled ES to be very fog and frost resistant.Last winter the 18mm ES saved many nights.The 30mm ES 82 weighs almost exactly the same as the 21E,next purchase will be the TV "Equalizer",if I can find one.My 10" dob has no problem with the weight of these eyepieces.

Looking forward to hear what you are purchasing!

Archived