Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advise for an EP for Nexstar 8"

Sotein

Yes agree far too much magnification although your seeing is likely a lot better than mine in UK.  I use a Hyperion Zoom in my C8 which is great but on most nights I don't get below 12mm, then on good nights down to about 10mm, after that I lose sharpness

I had the XF8.5 and it is VERY good indeed. I only sold it when the Delos 8mm edged it out in my planetary set (between the XW7 and XW10), and the WO Zoom II 7.5-22.5mm made it (and a 14mm Radian, and a MaxVision 20mm) redundant.  The XF 8.5 is a touch better than an 8mm Radian, and that is saying a lot. Very sharp, very comfortable. It saw quite some use in my C8

Just to add a comment on the 12mm: My 12mm gets a lot of use, but on most nights I an use my 10mm as well for planets. The 12 sees more use on compact DSOs like smaller planetaries. Seeing must be really bad to make the 10mm I have a step too far. I had a Vixen LV 9mm which saw tonnes of use in the past. Very good indeed, so 9mm is OK, I would say. The Xcel-LX EPs get a good press, but the Luminos are a bit of an uknown quantity. I think both will do well in an F/10 scope, however. How they perform in a faster scope is another matter (I simply do not know)

Archived