Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Any guides for solar sketching?

spaceboy

Hi All

This is going to sound very lame but I want to start sketching solar activity but admit to being useless at conveying what I see onto paper so I wondered if there were any guides video or otherwise? I have seen some really good sketches on SGL and across the net yet can't find any pointers on how to tackle each feature.

Nick, it's actually easier than you think. Just get a pack of different hardness pencils, a rubber and some half decent paper and away you go.

I've been using 2B, HB and 2H pencils mainly. I just draw the main umbral regions and spots in first with an HB, getting the shape and positioning correct, then go over the darker bits with 2B. I then use the side of a 2H to gently shade in the penumbral areas.

I have started by just doing a few of the AR's so I can get the positioning correct more easily without having to worry about the entire disk. I'll get to that sooner or later though.

Good luck :-)

Stu

Thanks Kerry looks a good book although a bit too pricey for me at £27.

I managed to find this vid that at least gives some idea to techniques  

Yes it is a bit pricey but I suppose it's a very limited market and hardly going to be in the best seller list! I was lucky because my son bought it for me as a Christmas present.

I had planned on going out but this weather is driving me nuts :angry9: clear one second, cloudy next then rain seemingly coming from nowhere. OK throw some rain clouds over I know not to go out but what the hell??? You just gotta love this hobby :icon_shaking:

OK I will have to call it a work in progress as I'm sat there 99% of my time waiting to get clear views of the sun with high level cloud, fluffy white cloud lower down keep speeding past and now great big grey clouds showing themselves.

What I will say though how much fun is it sketching :) I'm sure with a little more practice I could get better orientation and maybe more done in a shorter space of time. Although I did get in a right state as the only thing I had to hand was charcoal pencils which smudge every where but that gave me something to do in between clear spells I guess although I think I'm gonna need a new eraser already.

OK so here is my first attempt going of the links and advice offered by the good people of SGL. As I said a work in progress as I simply couldn't get enough clear spells and seeing to finish it in one sitting but I guess practice all the same and it might clear later today :rolleyes:.

post-8355-0-88881300-1408367282_thumb.jp

Got the template from here BTW http://tellmesomethingnice.com/2011/in/astronomy/free-astronomical-sketching-templates which helped as there are markers around the edge and a centre spot plus all the usual for notes etc.

Archived