NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Sun 15 August 2014 white light

Bizibilder

Thanks, Roger.

The more I see the more I learn - and the more I realise I don't know ...

For example, some numbers for Active Regions are missing. Does that mean that they have shown and then died down and disappeared off the map?

Active Area numbers are allocated sequentially and no numbers are missed out - therefore a "missing number" is usually due to a very short lived active area or a new area that "disappears" round the edge of the solar disc shortly after forming.  AR's that "go all the way round" and reappear are given a new number on re-appearance, thus some large Ar's may have two (or even three!) numbers allocated to them.

That's what I'd guessed was happening with the numbers, Roger. Thank you.

As I wrote earlier, your images are not only really impressive, they are also informative.

Several 'Loungers' - it would be wrong to name for fear of the sin of omission - are producing what I think are seminal images. However, the sheer expertise these images reflect underlines my resolve to stick with visual. You have all, collectively, set the bar so high!

In the Scots vernacular, gaun yersel!

Archived