SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

skyliner 200 dob

Hi guys I took delivery of my new dob tonight, one question looked at the OTA and there's no end plate at the base, it looks like you can see the mirror, is this right? Doesn't appear to be any screws for a plate so I assume it's correct

If the back of the mirror is visible, I think you will find that's normal for the 200p. It will help a faster cooldown.

I wouldn't worry myself, just enjoy what must be the best value scope around  :smiley: hope you get first light soon.

Regards, Ed.

Just had it in front garden before the clouds rolled in. Saturn was nice but I think it may need some collimation.

Luckily the nice bloke who sold it to me threw a cheshire collimator in free of charge, cracking bloke

Hi,

I've a 250px and same thing - as already mentioned it helps cool down and if you do a search many others have added fans with or without additional baffling. I havent done this myself... I let it cool down for 30mins or so. Defo do see the benefit of letting things reach equilibrium when viewing say detail on Jupiter. These SW dobs are incredible value and I'm delighted with mine (but feeling an awful dose of aperture fever coming on... after 4 yrs at 10" :)

I bought some tv eps (investment for yrs to come; fov helps in a manual dob) and bother a cheap bioviewer which revolutionises moon and planets. I also got some solar film to - recomended!! Just last night I manually tracked the ISS and saw some detail - hope to try again at 11:08pm tonight ;)

So much to see and try - enjoy + best of luck,

-Niall

You know I'm over the moon. Gonna take my time over next couple of days to adjust my finder scope as it's a bit out, attach and get a battery for my telrad, and check collimation using astrobabies guide.

Prob think of some other stuff too. Think I may invest in a uwa planetary eyepiece or a widefield eyepiece at Christmas

One quick comment - I keep my dob indoors, and I've noticed that the open mirror cell lets dust and fibres from rugs/carpets into the tube and onto the mirror over time. I need to find a shower cap... Just thought I'd mention it - protect that lovely new clean mirror ;)

A very nice telescope the 200P, get yourself an 8mm and 12 or 18 mm BST Starguider EP for  a better  60° field of view. The BST's are available from  Skys the Limit. Speak first on telephone, and arrange trial. You`ll pay up front, but if you no like, you send back and gets your money back. Great lenses and great value.

Archived