Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturday 9th August Solar

Pig

I was awoken around 7am by some beautiful sunshine coming through the gaps in the curtains so I decided to get up and go take a look through the scopes, especially as torrential rain is forecast for most of the weekend and this might be my only chance.

The sky is clear blue without a cloud in sight thus excellent conditions :shocked:

There are quite a few smaller prominences around the 5 O'clock position all showing very fine detail and a couple more around the 10 O'clock position starting to develop. I will keep my eye on these 2 as I think something big is going to happen.

The surface of the sun is looking particularly splendid with lots of very distinct granulation and filaments covering the whole disc, I do not think I have seen such in depth surface detail before, it is looking very fine indeed.

There are 2 main sunspots to be seen this morning and using a combination of the wedge and the 4mm Vixen SLV the detail in both of them is absolutely splendid. I am beginning to think the seeing for solar viewing is better during the early morning hours.

If the clouds and rain are kept at bay I may even go and buy a nice bottle of plonk :smiley: I hope you all get some clear sky this weekend.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are more prominences coming into view as the Sun rises higher Michael, there are also a few clouds developing on the horizon but hopefully they will stay away long enough for all to get some viewing in :smiley:

Just been out for a quick session too. Lovely detail this morning. Granulation very clear in white light, and there is a very nice area of faculae too.

The Leica is doing the business :-). Clear all the way up to max zoom with a x1.5 Barlow so around 5.9mm or x100. Never normally go that high.

Stu I have just had a rather large cash bonus this week and I am very tempted by the Leica.

I will give my Lunt zoom a trial with the 1.6 x Antares in a minute and see if I can achieve focus in the equinox, if it works I will buy one instead of the Quark

Strike that I will have to wait until dark, a 2" barlow will not fit into a 1.25 wedge for some reason

Collected Badder zoom yesterday and had first sunlight with it this morning, really superb views and great to be able to click from one mag' to another, appears to be a prom on the surface at about one oclock in the eyepiece, looks 3D in the Badder.

Dave

Good views this afternoon. A number of ARs with not much going on around them (a few Arfs associated with them)

The associated plage with the ARs are not too bright but the odd tiny brighter spots are beginning to appear.

Plenty of QRF dotted around the disc though of varying lengths and density.

As for the limb, there are plenty of quiescent proms........ Especially at 4oclock and 9 o'clock. These are fine whispy clouds in structure the 9oclock one has slight suspension. I'm keeling my eye on the 9oclock prom as MAYBE there could be a possible active prom??

I'm viewing at low magnification to be able to keep an eye on the whole disc, just in case of any plage brightening or possible limb flares.

All in all a good day so far :)

The clouds are moving in now..... GUTTED

the large QRF that has been crossing the disc over the last week, is nearing the limb. This should make for a fantastic looking quiescent prom ( can't believe it hasn't erupted though, must be super strength magnetic fields holding it)

As it is such a lovely sunny day, and because I was getting in the way of the cleaning at home, I decided to take my scopes over to the local floodplane for an hour or so. It is a beautiful open space and needless to say it was a tad blustery but it didn't affect proceedings too much.

The sun is looking excellent and I had a very relaxing time just sitting there next to the lake with my eye fixed to the eyepiece, occasionally looking at the wildlife. I was quite surprised to see as many snakes as I did as they swam across from the little island that was close by :shocked:

All in all I have managed to get a good 5 hours at the eyepiece today, long live solar viewing.

Its a great life at times :laugh:

Hopefully the Mrs will be back soon with the wine :smiley: preferably before the sun goes in.

The sun is very dynamic Skem, it is especially spectacular when your lucky enough to catch a prom from scratch and watch it develop into a lovely arc.

I have been pondering for some time about a DS but I do love the views I already get and have decided to stick for the moment. This observing hobby can get very addictive.

I am flitting between an expensive zoom, a prominence Quark or even both :laugh:

I have been pondering for some time about a DS but I do love the views I already get and have decided to stick for the moment. This observing hobby can get very addictive.

I am flitting between an expensive zoom, a prominence Quark or even both :laugh:

get the quark first pig, it will be entirely new for you and then get the Zoom :)

I have been pondering for some time about a DS but I do love the views I already get and have decided to stick for the moment. This observing hobby can get very addictive.

I am flitting between an expensive zoom, a prominence Quark or even both :laugh:

Get both, life's too short, at least it is when you get to my age.  :grin:

Dave

Archived