Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Focal Reducer Tests

HiloDon

Hi All,

I indicated in another thread that I wanted to do some tests on the F3.3 and F6.3 focal reducers for SCT's with the Lodestar. Unfortunately, it will be delayed a little because we have two hurricanes moving toward us. The first, Iselle, is here right now and is a Cat 1. The second, Julio, should pass to the north on Sunday, but will still impact us.

This will be a test for the durability of my observatory. I built it to hurricane standards, so it should be ok. There's no way any hurricane can affect my pier, so I'll always have that, which is nice.

Here's a picture of the observatory built to Hawaii specs.

post-36930-0-74575000-1407457122_thumb.j

Hope to get back to testing next week.

Don

Thanks for the update Don, I hope your you superb observatory comes through unscathed. We have a hurricane heading towards us but it will likely have fizzled out by the time it gets here or miss us completely.

Thanks all,

Looks like everything including the observatory survived the night. I built it myself and used hurricane clips on the roof and steel straps all the way down to the concrete piers in the ground. Still windy with lots of rain. The second hurricane, Julio, should miss us to the north. Definitely no clear nights for the next four or five days.

Don

Archived