NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Planning for the Future

Which mount? - EQ6 or HEQ5?

My end game will be:
- ED80 DS Pro

- Guide Scope

- Camera

I intend to take deep space long exposures to compensate  for the 80mm.

Being a newbie Ill start with just the mount and cannon camera plus telephoto lens and take some deep sky images - but I must get the mount right.

The HEQ5 will be absolutely fine with the set up you have in mind.  The EQ6 offers greater load carrying capacity if you eventually decide to get yourself a larger scope so is a little more future proof.  The HEQ5 will be easier to lug out into the garden!

Very sensible way to start

The HEQ5 will be absolutely fine with the set up you have in mind.  The EQ6 offers greater load carrying capacity if you eventually decide to get yourself a larger scope so is a little more future proof.  The HEQ5 will be easier to lug out into the garden!

Very sensible way to start

Take a look at this baby:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro-series/skywatcher-evostar-80ed-pro-heq5-pro.html

I'm reading make every photon count - it's answering a lot of questions Great !!

Which camera - thought 1100D - any thoughts?

An 1100D would be a great way to start.  It will also double up for day time photography.  If you haven't got one already it might be worth buying one that is "modded" for you.  Most cameras have an infra red filter which does make them quite insensitive to deep red typical of many emission nebulae.  Removing this does improve the capture of these nebulae.  It does create a red colour cast for day time photography but fortunately you can get a special filter to place in front of the chip to resore the original colour balance (doesn't work with Canon EFS lenses though).  It isn't essential and you can always do it later if you want.

ultimately, if you really get into imaging you will probably start to hanker after a dedicated astro imaging camera with a cooled chip but you can do wonderful things with a DSLR

An 1100D would be a great way to start.  It will also double up for day time photography.  If you haven't got one already it might be worth buying one that is "modded" for you.  Most cameras have an infra red filter which does make them quite insensitive to deep red typical of many emission nebulae.  Removing this does improve the capture of these nebulae.  It does create a red colour cast for day time photography but fortunately you can get a special filter to place in front of the chip to resore the original colour balance (doesn't work with Canon EFS lenses though).  It isn't essential and you can always do it later if you want.

ultimately, if you really get into imaging you will probably start to hanker after a dedicated astro imaging camera with a cooled chip but you can do wonderful things with a DSLR

Is the 1100D better than both the 350D and 450D - in terms of pixels etc?

Great to read Martin defend the HEQ5 because I agree that, for small scopes, it is perfectly good. Small apo refractors are also wonderful for DS imaging.

Don't chase huge pixel counts. That is for DSLR marketing and, maybe but not necessarily, for daytime photography. When you have too many small pixels in DS imaging each pixel gets too little light.

Olly

Great to read Martin defend the HEQ5 because I agree that, for small scopes, it is perfectly good. Small apo refractors are also wonderful for DS imaging.

Don't chase huge pixel counts. That is for DSLR marketing and, maybe but not necessarily, for daytime photography. When you have too many small pixels in DS imaging each pixel gets too little light.

Olly

Ok - so we're saying go with the 1100D?

HEQ5 - where can I source a used one?    Also - the EQ6 is only £90 more expensive - but I guess the HE is more portable?

If you want a modded Canon Juan will sort you out, there quite a few on SGL that have done business with him, i went for a 600D cheap mod no filters added the camera still works in daylight just needs a couple of buttons pressed, i went from a 1100D to the 600D the main difference on the outside is  the LCD screen  is moveable its very handy believe me, internal its a bit better low dark noise ect....

http://cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/Available-Cameras.html

Mount = HEQ5. tick :)

Camera - to decide

Re equipment are the 350D and 450D any good? - do they have the lcd screens?

Refractor - to decide

Ive heard great things about the Skywatcher 80ED DS Pro 

How does this compare:Bresser Telescope Messier AR-152s/760 - re photos? and weight?

Regarding the camera i dont think the 350D has live view not sure about the 450D focussing is dificult at the best of times and the lack of live view makes it even harder.

Alan

But you think the 1100D is a good choice - presume it has live view?

The 1100D is an excellent camera and does have live view as well as a good noise performance if you are looking at 2nd hand then include the 600D its extra features (flip out screen) realy do make a difference especially if you intend to run it without connection to a laptop etc.

Alan

The 1100D is an excellent camera and does have live view as well as a good noise performance if you are looking at 2nd hand then include the 600D its extra features (flip out screen) realy do make a difference especially if you intend to run it without connection to a laptop etc.

Alan

I intend to take photos with the HEQ5 mount and 600D to start with - but I guess Ill need a telephoto lens to achieve deep space shots - any recommendations?

Mount = HEQ5. tick :)

Camera - to decide

Re equipment are the 350D and 450D any good? - do they have the lcd screens?

Refractor - to decide

Ive heard great things about the Skywatcher 80ED DS Pro 

How does this compare:Bresser Telescope Messier AR-152s/760 - re photos? and weight?

I dont know the Bresser but the 80ED is the best corrected doublet I have in my collection. Its well proven while a bit slow even with the reducer. In comparison to the likes of the WO's it has less star bloat. It would be my go to (doublet) scope if I were shooting RGB or OSC (DSLR)

I intend to take photos with the HEQ5 mount and 600D to start with - but I guess Ill need a telephoto lens to achieve deep space shots - any recommendations?

The only recomendation regarding camera lenses is that you usually get what you pay for however the std kit lenses that come with some canons are suprisingly good for AP the camera can also be used with an EOS to M42 adapter that allows the use of the old SLR lenses.

Alan

I'm just in the process of buying a Canon DSLR and have decided on a 600d which I can get new for just under £300 and modded for about £140.  I think the kit lens, 18-55mm is not bad at all for starters. I've been using Nikon with an expensive f/2.8 17-35mm lens and have some nice images of the milky way already at between 19 and 21mm.  But hey I'm a very newbie so what do I know!!

Annie

Ive been told that the 1100D has fewer pixels and hence more light per pixel which is better for ap - plus it has a viewer - plus its cheaper...

and unlike the older eos cams you could only do 30 second exposures with the usb  you would needed to get another cable (com to remote). but with the 1100d you only need the usb and you have full control with eos utility.exposures as long as you want and however many.

Archived