Widefield of M31 & a smidge of our galaxy.

I was under the impression that the weather was going to be pants this weekend I never packed a scope when I went out yesterday to my friends so imagine my surprise & frustration when the skies cleared last night. I still had my standard DSLR & NEQ6 so with some erm bodging I mounted the camera & did some widefield shots. I saw some NLC's & Perseids even managed to capture one too. The Milky Way was the best I'd seen & near the end of the session we saw an ISS pass.

52 minutes of data of 2 minute subs iso 800, standard 18-55mm lens set at F5 at its widest setting.

1891479_10152324478963434_42916818198249

Single 2 minute shot of M31 & a Perseid.

10582871_10152324477843434_5669346512363

10553803_10152324479493434_3557190130862

I'd love a better DSLR & decent widefield lens but can't see that happening for a while yet!!

I do have a modded camera but unfortunately it doesn't work with a lens attached only on the scope as I would have loved to take widefields using one. I did reprocess the Milky Way image as I were struggling to get any colour from it. Not sure if I over done it but it does look a lot less harsh than the other one.

10473565_10152326815433434_5093726561982

There is in my head no difference between a telescope with it's fixed apperature and a manual lens and you choosing the aperature. Unless you mean it won't reach focus when using a manual lens but not sure why it wouldn't because the lens mount and chip aren't moved when a camera is astro modded I didn't think.

There is in my head no difference between a telescope with it's fixed apperature and a manual lens and you choosing the aperature. Unless you mean it won't reach focus when using a manual lens but not sure why it wouldn't because the lens mount and chip aren't moved when a camera is astro modded I didn't think.

I took the modded camera out a couple of weeks ago to try to take a widefield shot of the night sky, I tried to focus on a bright light in the distance but it was having none of it. When using the standard camera it focusses just fine.

Very odd!!

I think the mod that was done to it is that the IR filter was removed & not re shimmed with transparent glass or a Baader filter so to preserve the auto focus, in saying that I would have thought it still would have focussed manually. :icon_scratch:

You may have two galaxies there, I think that smudge below Andromeda in the first image is Triangulum.

And I'm sure on the close-up I can see M110 and possibly M32!

I wonder how many others are hidden in there!

Archived