NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

next scope

Hi guys so currently I have a skywatcher 130pm newt, but due to local conditions lp etc. It doesn't see much use barring planets and lunar. Would it be worth trading down to a grab and go refractor, or may be keeping the newt for dso hunting and have the refractor as my main scope.

If so what size refractor is best, seen a nice one on flo think it was a 90mm not sure though

Edit: actually was the skywatcher mercury 705 for 89 quid with stand

I think your best sticking with the 130 and taking it to a dark sky or upgrading to something like a 8" newt to cut through the lp.

Fracs are great for traveling to dark skies, but you still need appeture I would say minimum 4" to gain an advantage over the 130p

Hi guys thanks for the advice, I mainly looking at a smaller scope for grab and go reasons, and the ability to Chuck it in the car and head out to a dark sky site without to much hassle

The evostar 90 does look good, really it's more for ease of use at min, I love to look at moon/planets and occasional clusters. Think a frac would be good for that.

Dreams of one day owning a 200 dob too for dso and fuzzy hunting

Why not put up an ad here and/or on UKABS looking for a vintage refractor like a Vixen or Celestron (made in Japan) 1980s 80mm refractor. 

The quality of the optics is generally superb, and something like the Vixen 80M can sometimes be had for around £100 - far superior to the more modern Chinese ones and with a decent altaz mount which is very stable but also very lightweight.

Good luck with your search.

Dave

Fracs are great for traveling to dark skies, but you still need appeture I would say minimum 4" to gain an advantage over the 130p

Yeah I would agree. Even at Coonabarabran down in Oz, where the sky is black like you wouldn't believe, 70mm doesn't show that much of the fuzzy stuff. If you were set on a refractor, what about one of those Chinese 120 or 150mm short tubes? They're generally pretty poor at high magnification but on wide field deep sky they can really excel. You can probably observe high magnification stuff like planets and doubles fine from home with your newt.

There are some really excellent collapsable Dobs too, but they're not cheap.

There's no substitute for a dark site but after spending  last Saturday night sitting in a freezing cold damp field  with our portable scope, I really would have to second Laurie's suggestion of a UHC or OIII filter in the comfort of your own home :)

all the best

Tim

Well as I said I have a 130mm skywatcher so I do have a decent starter scope, however it can be a fiddle to set up and move on my own, hence why I was looking for a drop in size. And it feels sAted using it on just planets and moon.

I intend to keep this scope for now as the main observing scope but looking at a frac as a portable/grab and go

Archived