Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Enke minima?

jetstream

I had a great view of Saturn tonight through the 10".I am wondering if the gray shade to the ring ,past Cassini div is the Enke minima?Cassini was sharp at 300x,and amazingly,it held 340x,although around the 300 mark was best.I am seeing things on the rings,but not sure what they are.Thanks

Thanks Nick!I have been getting better at picking the conditions to observe planets in,which helps so much,regardless of the scope used.Using my 10" I swear I can see a lighter shade change just past Cassini,just in a very thin line,from black (Cassini) to cream,(not all the way around either) and this meets the gray area mentioned.The gray area has shade variances a bit.I am having fun with this planet!

Thanks again Nick,that image is very useful!

Sounds like it could have been the minima Gerry. I've picked it up with my 12" OO but I've never convinced myself that I've seen the actual Encke Gap. Shading on the inside edge of the B ring, where it meets the C ring is another feature to look out for under good conditions. I've not managed to see any "spokes" as yet but there are definite contrast variations in that area of the ring system as well.

When you have the conditions and the optics to get steady observations at 300x it's looking a bit like the Voyager images at times  :smiley:

I had Saturn up at x266 with an 80 degree ep. Stepping away from the ep, but keeping it in view with both eyes ,it looked as if was floating in front of me !

If you have big eye relief try standing back and making a shield for both eyes with your palms, sometimes gives a different view, under those

Clear skies,

Nick.

I'm fairly sure I saw it with a six inch newt the last time the rings were fully open ie probably over 10 years ago. It was much higher back then too, so the views were significantly better despite the scope being worse than I have now. The crepe ring was also much clearer than now I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm fairly sure I saw it with a six inch newt the last time the rings were fully open ie probably over 10 years ago. It was much higher back then too, so the views were significantly better despite the scope being worse than I have now. The crepe ring was also much clearer than now I think

Thats true - we are loosing a fair bit of detail this opposition due to atmospheric diffraction I reckon. It still looks pretty darn good though :smiley:  

I've had fairly disappointing views this opposition I must admit. It is poorly positioned over houses and the seeing has always been horrible unfortunately :-(

I had a seriously good view two nights back with my 4" f13 frac, even though Saturn was skimming through some trees. Any lower and it would have been a chainsaw situation.

Crepe ring definitely, but I've only ever seen the Encke division through an observatory scope up a mountain.

Chris

I had Saturn up at x266 with an 80 degree ep. Stepping away from the ep, but keeping it in view with both eyes ,it looked as if was floating in front of me !

If you have big eye relief try standing back and making a shield for both eyes with your palms, sometimes gives a different view, under those

Clear skies,

Nick.

Nick,I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this!What a great effect at times,I do this quite a bit :grin:

I had a seriously good view two nights back with my 4" f13 frac, even though Saturn was skimming through some trees. Any lower and it would have been a chainsaw situation.

Crepe ring definitely, but I've only ever seen the Encke division through an observatory scope up a mountain.

Chris

Chris I have big doubts if I'll ever see the actual gap,it must take a pile of mag and great seeing,but the minima is within grasp.But then there are some who argue if the minima really exists...I have a big chainsaw situation myself!I cut down an oak and a chestnut tree to obs the sun,planets....any more and I'll be looking for a divorce lawyer!lol!I wonder how the planets look through a 15" dob... :dontknow:

wonder how the planets look through a 15" dob... :dontknow:

My best views of the planets have all been through my 16", seeing Jupiter at x340 in AI conditions was probably the most impressive thing I have ever seen through a telescope, it was very much like looking at an image.

If/when you get a large dob and your at a dark site looking at DSO's do yourself a favour and save yourself 30 minutes just to look at Jupiter!

More often than not seeing conditions will mean you'll get far better planetary views with your 120ED and 10" though, I never use my 16" from home to look at the planets its just not worth the effort in setting up just for the planets although I did get some nice views with a aperture mask last winter I still like seeing the smooth detail that a fairly large unmasked aperture gives.

My best views of the planets have all been through my 16", seeing Jupiter at x340 in AI conditions was probably the most impressive thing I have ever seen through a telescope, it was very much like looking at an image.

If/when you get a large dob and your at a dark site looking at DSO's do yourself a favour and save yourself 30 minutes just to look at Jupiter!

More often than not seeing conditions will mean you'll get far better planetary views with your 120ED and 10" though, I never use my 16" from home to look at the planets its just not worth the effort in setting up just for the planets although I did get some nice views with a aperture mask last winter I still like seeing the smooth detail that a fairly large unmasked aperture gives.

Yes,I will take a peek for sure.I am still planning the big dob and its thermal management,I need more info, and time to sort the info out that I have.That boundary layer thing is more complicated than I figured,it seems to stick.Side vents work on cooldown,but once close to equilibrium they may actually hurt the situation.Any thoughts appreciated Mike.I'm thinking a thin,well supported primary is a good starting point,in a truss design.

I have looked into boundary cooling a little more for my 10" but to be honest I'm just not convinced. I'm not saying that it doesn't work just that for my observing in the UK where home observing is a battle against every central heating system within 10 miles and then theres the jet stream to contend with I just think boundary cooling is the least of my worries. I'm gonna stick with 'if it aint broke then don't fix it'! :)

Archived