NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Filter or Filter Set suggestions (2")

DannyMcO

Would appreciate any suggestions for a filter set for a beginner

Eyepieces already owned are ES 5.5mm & 14mm (100's) and 18mm & 30mm (82's), as well as an ES 2x focal extender; all are 2"

Scope is a 305mm aperture, 1500mm f/l, f/4.92 Skywatcher Dobsonian

Supermoon was nice viewing (though had to use the 1.25" 25mm and 10mm Plossls that came with the scope) but definitely washing out (brightness); I am on the border between NYC's light pollution and darker skies (anything to the East has me looking towards city glow, but it's darker towards other directions).

Would like (in order) enhanced planetary and/or lunar, enhanced DSOs/nebulae; these are more for viewing than astrographs.

Have already shot through the budget by multiples on eyepieces, so would like to know about good value eyepieces versus top-of-the-line.

Any suggestions?

I have a 12" dobsonian and find that I use just one filter - an O-III branded Astronomik. This enhances the contrast of nebulae, in some cases dramatically. For galaxies and clusters the only thing that really works is dark skies. For the Moon I don't find I need a filter and I prefer the unfiltered views of the planets.

I use a SkyWatcher LPR filter (similar to the Baader Neodymium) for lunar and planterary viewing. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not it depends on the night. For bringing out more contrast on nebulae I use both OIII and UHC filters, both from Astronomik. I prefer the UHC but the OIII is definitely the better choice on some objects.

Hi Dan, the Lumicon filters from AgenaAstro in the US are very good quality.  I have bought into these mostly on the s/h market but they are really good.  Links here:

Starter set: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lumicon-Lunar-Planetary-4-Filter-Set-Medium-2-LF5070-/121235541736?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3a338ee8

UHC Nebula Filter:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lumicon-Ultra-High-Contrast-UHC-Filter-2-LF3030-/121130554961?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c33f19651

OIII Nebula filter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lumicon-Oxygen-III-Filter-2-LF3045-/111173077968?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e26e8bd0

Variable polarizer: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lumicon-Variable-Polarizer-Polarizing-Filter-2-LF2115-/141263839383?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20e3fb2097

They are a bit expensive, plus you have import duties on top, but well worth it for top notch optics.  As I say, I got mine s/h and feel very lucky that I got such good quality cheaper, I also have the H-Beta filter which I have not had chance to use yet.  Delivery about 8 days - epic.

Quite agree with Robin, AgenaAstro are worth considering for this type of purchase. I recently purchased a paracorr through their ebay shop, great service and competitively priced all considered when received. I use a Lumicon 2" OIII filter at dark sky sessions and additionally have the 2" Lumicon H-beta filter, which I am looking forward to using, particularly this winter.

I have a 12" dobsonian and find that I use just one filter - an O-III branded Astronomik. This enhances the contrast of nebulae, in some cases dramatically. For galaxies and clusters the only thing that really works is dark skies. For the Moon I don't find I need a filter and I prefer the unfiltered views of the planets.

^^ What John said

• 3 weeks later...

A starter set would be:

#15 yellow (Moon, Mercury, Mars' dust storms, Saturn's rings)

#80A blue (Venus, Mars' clouds and ice caps, Jupiter's dark features, Saturn's disc)

#23A red orange or #25 red (Mars dark markings)

Variable polarizing filter (Moon at any phase or magnification)

Narrowband Nebula filter (examples: Lumicon UHC, Orion Ultrablock, DGM NPB, Thousand Oaks LP-2)

If you have steady enough seeing to use magnificatiions >250X most nights, then skip the color filters.  At high magnifications, you won't want them.

Ditto for the Moon.

In that case, add a second nebula filter, an O-III filter (examples: Lumicon, Astronomik, Orion US, TeleVue for small apertures)

Archived