Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is a Monopod really better than a tripod for mounting BA8 70mm binos?

I've just acquired a pair of Kunming BA8 10.5x70 binoculars which are in new condition (unbranded but identical to Helios Apollo version).

Of course, we have now had wall to wall cloud in the late evenings (only had them 3 days) apart from a very very brief gap in the clouds last night. Literally got a 20 second view of Vega and the view was very sharp, with lots of faint stars across the field. Then the gap closed up and that was it. But that, and a couple of views in daytime of nearby aerials and chimneys, convinced me that these are great binoculars, very well made and optically sharp.. They are also VERY heavy! For anything other than very short peeks, I'm going to need to mount these to use them properly...which brings me to the point of this post.

I've seen several opinions expressed, from people who clearly know much more than I do about using binoculars, that a monopod, with or without a trigger type head, is better than a traditional tripod. I'm intrigued by this, as all my normal understanding of balance would tell me that a tripod, with 3 legs, keeps the supported equipment stable and still, while a monopod, by it's very nature of having basically just one leg, has itself to be supported...how, then, can a monopod give the necessary stability to hold heavy binos still enough to look, for example, double stars like Albireo? (I normally observe on a tarmac drive, so wouldn't be able to drive a spike into the ground for extra stability).

I'd be grateful for a layman's explanation as to how in practice a monopod compares to a tripod, and how important a trigger grip type head is?

I'm on a tight budget to buy a monopod/head...is it realistic to hope I can get something either new or used for under £75? Any specific brands/combinations?

Any advice/info will be much appreciated!

Dave

Hi Dave, I use a giottos monopod and this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olivon-TRH-14-Joystick-Tripod-Mount-Grey/dp/B004OCL5F4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1404671532&sr=8-2&keywords=olivon+trigger+head with my 15x70's. I took the advise of Stephen Tonkin and I think this is the same head as  pictured on the front cover of his second edition book. Mine had a sticker on it the that read Olivion, but I think they are Konig.

I really like the ease of this setup, the head is on the very limit of my binos, but holding the trigger grip stops it slipping down. I found it hard at first to keep hold/steady my binos around 70 or 80 degrees. But I found if I put the trigger head to 90 degrees and angle the monopod in front of me the binos would stay steady and not move. So now I can use them without having to take all the weight if you see what I mean.

I not keen on binos on my horizon tripod so this was a good buy for me.

Cheers Chris

Using the links from Stephen Tomlinson Binocular Sky website to Amazon, I got a second hand Manfrotto 679 monopoly for less than £40, and a Dynasun branded version for about £25. Well within your budget.

Mark

Hi Mark, Chris,

Many thanks for the advice and pointers to suitable monopods/heads. I will look at these carefully.

On a bright note, I found in my garage an old but excellent conditon camera tripod with central post and adjustable legs (you just twist them to lock in position).

i managed to fix the binos to this tripod with a good quality adapter and it was remarkably stable. I had a lovely view of the moon, which although lowish in the south west was very clear and crisp. i also managed to split Albireo (very easy) with the bins on the tripod and also got Mizar (much harder as I am only working with x10.5 magnification). I can get quite comfortable sitting in a garden chair with the tripod clearing my knees pretty well.

I also got a really nice view of M13 and M92 globulars in Hercules using handheld in a seated position. The 5degree field is very sharp across about 80% of the fov, with loads of faint stars visible compared to my 8x40s.

I think my next move before a monopod is to buy Steve Tonkins book, it sounds like a good read?

thanks again,

Dave

I wouldn't call a monopod 'better' so much as 'different.' The problem with any of these systems is 'getting underneath them' to look high. You can do this by tipping a tripod onto two legs but the two legs are only optimal for looking in one direction, whereas a monopod adapts more easily to changes in azimuth.

My fantasy is a self built 'Dobsonian chair' with fixed binoculars...

Olly

I wouldn't call a monopod 'better' so much as 'different.' The problem with any of these systems is 'getting underneath them' to look high. You can do this by tipping a tripod onto two legs but the two legs are only optimal for looking in one direction, whereas a monopod adapts more easily to changes in azimuth.

My fantasy is a self built 'Dobsonian chair' with fixed binoculars...

Olly

Something a little like this perhaps, Olly?

post-30253-0-53979300-1404745691.jpg

Tripod is great for stabilizing the view and sharing with others. However I too recently converted from a horizon tripod to a monopod / trigger grip head set up. I have improved contact - eye placement and I like the spontaneous and versatile handling of the monopod.

Really useful opinions, thanks guys:-). That chair both intrigues and scares me..it must give great viewing comfort but reminds me a bit too much of a dentists chair for my liking!

I've now ordered my copy of Steve Tonkin's Binocular Astronomy 2nd Edition, so am looking forward to delving into that very soon..

Archived